• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any one tried these headers in an I-beam Ranger

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Was thinking about picking up a set of used heads aluminum heads to get away from the "P" heads on my motor and broaden my header choices. Well I decided to pass on the heads but it got me back to looking at what's available for the P heads. I'm not sure if I forgot about seeing these headers, or completely missed them in the past.

Ford Racing Hi-Flow Shorty Headers for 86-93 Mustangs with GT-40P heads

So they fit in Fox Body Mustangs and I've seen atleast one reference to someone using them in an early 60s Falcon. Thinking that if they will fit in those they should fit in a Ranger with minor tweaking right?

So anyone tried to use these yet? What ya think, will they fit?

These would be going into a '86 Ranger 2wd with a '98 Explorer 5.0L & 4R70W using L&L engine swap mounts. (got them cheap) I would like to do Tri-Y headers, but don't want to deal with the fitment issues I'll encounter with both the "P" heads and the transmission. Right now the motor is stock, but I'm likely to upgrade camshaft and work on the heads a little in the future and would rather have better exhaust than the stock Explorer manifolds to support it.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Also look up OXB headers. Avalible on eBay. They are torque monster look alikes and seem to be a good deal.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks Bobby, I actually saw them on Summit Racing first, but liked the American Muscle picture better. The picture above is linked to the American Muscle page. I meant to put the part number in the post as well, but apparently forgot to do it. Clearance the frame rails a little wouldn't be a problem, my 84 2.8L had that done for the long tube headers, but rolling the motor might be more trouble that it's worth at current. I'll think about ordering a set and seeing what it would take.

Yeah, I've seen the OBX, but not crazy about them. I'd rather stick with the logs until I change heads than get those. Don't want to pay $450 for them, which I know is about $400 less than the TM headers. The $250 for the Ford Racing headers is more along the lines of what I'm willing to pay for headers that I already know will be replaced.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
these should be in one of the header threads...

those headers are styled after these ones in my truck which i liked best of all of the styles i ran....well back before i put a diesel in it...:D

takes a bit of fanaggling, but they work. and where i run the mounts had no issues with 351's either. BUT, i mount the engine and mod the pan different then many.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals