• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ring and pinion install

RangahDanga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
What are the chances that I can swap from 3.73 gears to 4.10 gears in my 8.8 and not have to do all the crazy measurements? I've got a good axle that doesn't howl now, and I'm replacing the gears with OEM Ford Racing gears, so assuming i keep the shims in the correct position i should be able to swap one for one and forego the crazy measuring? i'd be doing bearings while i was in there, and likely replacing the clutch pack also. I can, but would rather not, bring it to an axle shop.

traacer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Since it sounds like your planning on basically rebuilding the diff your going to need to measure everything....sorry. Should always check the backlash on them anyway and need to set the preload.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Yea not just your simple swap there are more than a few things that have to be correct, gear lash, run out, preload on both carrier bearings and pinion and the pinion depth. It can be done just dont try it under the truck best on a set of saw horses where your not laying on your back cussing. It is easier to cuss standing up.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Theres aa video on YouTube that explains it pretty well

RangahDanga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I've got the axle on a bench so at least I've eliminated a little swearing. I hear its not super hard, just takes patience and doing it right the first time. any suggestions on a good video? I also ordered a rebuild book (see below), so i hope that'll help. I guess worst case i rip it apart and end up having to bring it to a shop anyway if i cant get it right.

Anyone ever had any luck with this book?

JerZDevil81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual

You will need a micrometer for shim measurement and a dial indicator for backlash at the very least. If you are switching to Ford gears you can use the Master Housing Dimension touse math and eliminate some tools to get you close, but not dead on.

I used http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJrAIDCpbDI and its following videos as a good guide.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Use all your original shims and put it back together and check pattern/backlash. It gets you so damn close most of the time only minor adjustment is needed from there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals