• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 swap suggestions

Bama Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I plan on swapping a v8 into a first Gen ranger or possible newer. I haven't decided yet, and would like some input from others who have done this. Itll basically be a daily driver. I'd prefer a manual trans but if necessary I'd settle for an automatic. Has anyone done this and was it worth it? I'd also like too keep the build as clean as possible.

Last edited:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I did a first gen and went with a carb. It was simple enough. I if I were to do it again I would have changed a few things.
The mid 90's Rangers will take a mid 90's explorer 5.0 just as easily as the first gens will a carbed 5.0.
There's a couple guys on here that did the swap into the mid 90's (3rd gen) ranger and had it back on the road in just a week or two. You just drop the motor in, set up your motor mounts, trans Xmemb, send the drive shafts off to get modified, install the Rad, hook up the fuel lines and sort out the wiring.

It's recommended to get a whole explorer so you can take everything off of it.

I recommend moving the power steering box to the outside of the frame to get rid of exhaust clearance issues.

That's just the down and dirty.
All the other technical info you'll have to get by searching and taking the time to read through people's threads. We pretty much all documented our swaps. It'll give you all the info you'll need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like the simplicity of a Carb. My biggest concern is my wallet in this build! I will definitely not cut corners were it matters but I'd like this build too last! What's my best option for a long lasting daily driver?

Last edited:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
If you can get a wrecked explorer or one that has a bad trans for cheap that would be the way to go. You'd have everything for the motor.
The carb is simple but there's less tuning with the efi. Just wire it in and go. Then replace the sensors if they go out. It's really not bad to trouble shoot and repair. The carb takes quite a bit to tune and adjust. I've been dealing with it for the last couple years, it's annoying. Im gonna swap back to efi soon.

Bama Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So basically if i got a 98 through 00 ranger and explorer all the wiring is pretty much plug and play? I know most v8 swaps involve a 83-97 ranger. I really dont like the front ends on the 89-97 rangers.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Your donor will be a 96-97. No pats and same style fuel system. Wiring is not plug n play, but you only need to hook up 6 wires to get it running. A few more to get the gauges and diagnostic port working. Not anything hard by any means. For first gen models the mustang mounts are the best option, you'll need that motor as low and as far back against the firewall as possible...

SVT

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
SVT knows his stuff. He's done more than one of the V8's iirc. I have only done the one swap so far.

Bama Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you SVT! That answers the engine part! Id like a manual transmission In the ranger if possible! And without having to cut another hole for a shifter what are my options? Ive read somewhere a tremec might fit?

Bama Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Id like the longest life possibe out of this swap and a manual transmission Just seems right but id settle for and automatic if necessary!

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Depending on the transmission and if you can get a ranger that already has a manual trans (which will be less work than converting a auto to manual) they (first gens) have a plate that is removable on the trans tunnel. You just put the appropriate one in. Then either trim the carpet or buy a new carpet to match. The two transmissions I've swapped in required trimming of the tunnel and carpet. I first used a NP435 which is considerably shorter than a stock ranger trans and now I have a ZF 5 speed which is about the same length but the shifter comes up closer to the dash than the stock ranger trans. The m5od r2 might come up in the right spot so no trimming is required but you'll have to research that because I don't know for sure.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I plan on swapping a v8 into a first Gen ranger or possible newer. I haven't decided yet, and would like some input from others who have done this. Itll basically be a daily driver. I'd prefer a manual trans but if necessary I'd settle for an automatic. Has anyone done this and was it worth it? I'd also like too keep the build as clean as possible.
I like the simplicity of a Carb. My biggest concern is my wallet in this build! I will definitely cut corners were it matters but I'd like this build too last! What's my best option for a long lasting daily driver?
So basically if i got a 98 through 00 ranger and explorer all the wiring is pretty much plug and play? I know most v8 swaps involve a 83-97 ranger. I really dont like the front ends on the 89-97 rangers.
Thank you SVT! That answers the engine part! Id like a manual transmission In the ranger if possible! And without having to cut another hole for a shifter what are my options? Ive read somewhere a tremec might fit?
Id like the longest life possibe out of this swap and a manual transmission Just seems right but id settle for and automatic if necessary!

so...you want a 2wd daily driver with w manual trans? most likey a gen one?

the ideal trans if you were to limit yourself to a small block ford would be the m5od r2 from a v6 97-04 or so ford 150. your floor board is easily adapted and modified regarless on the trans tunnel in a gen 1 or rangers in general...just need to make a bolt on plate to fit your needs to replace the original tunnel plate. the 97 up trans has smaller bolt holes so you need step studs or to drill the holes out a little....cake job.

in todays market, there are quite a few attractive options for powertrains.

the hemi, the ls, and the newer crop of v6 across the board make the idea of a blown out explorer 302 swap look patently ridiculous. then theres the supra stuff.

I like the simplicity of a Carb. My biggest concern is my wallet in this build! I will definitely cut corners were it matters but I'd like this build too last! What's my best option for a long lasting daily driver?
i have extensive experience and bias towards wheezer 302 swaps...and they are cheap and easy....and usually last quite well. whether installed by a shop at a cost of 5 to 10 times the typical wheezer crown vic/150 powertrain, or hacked in place by a drunk monkey.

now, what usually leads to a cost effective selection is.....remove from running donor....place into reciever. with the sla chassis ranger and v8 explorer it is as plug and play as it gets, real tempting to say the least. cost wise it usually is easy to free up enough cash to put a tfs system in place and actually have some power because of the low cost of clapped out explorers... dialing and maxing economy from there is a bit of work but nets respectable results.

as simple a formula as that is, its still not easy for many.

so, if you have to change every part of the drive train anyway, the other modern v8's are worth a look.

my first choice is the ls based on the power available from the typical 302 oem donor. but have yet to install one in an rbv.... i have put them in cars, jeeps, and race cars/trucks.

i have installed, mopar small blocks, 302 and 351 ford, 350 and ls gm into jeep cherokees and wranglers along with several big blocks. the first 6.0 ls i worked on was right when they came out and i had to figure it all out and that sucked...but the physical install was stupid easy. now the control systems are stupid easy and cheap as well. based on the comparatives from those applications its tough to take a oem 302 over a oem 5.3.

the other option is diesel. if your happy with a low 2wd the vw diesel may be a great option that will net some decent power and killer economy.

but it wont sound like a well constructed 302....hard to beat the sound of one of those.

look around locally and see whats out there for running complete donors and figure from there.

Bama Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Im still deciding wether I want to go ahead with the gen 1 or with a newer model. Im reading up on every thread I can find on v8 swaps. I like the thought of putting a 5.0 from an explorer into a newer ranger. Im looking for the easiest and most efficient build. If i had too pick a ranger for the swap it would be a 93-00. I wont be starting the build till summer, so ill have plenty of time too decide. Id also like too keep the build stictly ford! I plan on this truck looking and running like a truck that would have rolled out of the factory doors. Which is why I dont want to have do alot of fab work too make it fit.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
95+ rangers should be your choice since they are OBD2 and are virtually plug n play on everything. The manual trans, as stated, you have several options. If it were me, I'd choose the T5 from the mustang for a 2WD truck, the ZF for a 4WD. 94 and older will need more fustom work, like heater box mods, electric fans designed to fit tight places, etc...

SVT

Bama Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Would I have too cut a new hole for the t5 shifter or will it fit throught the stock hole?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
go to a junk yard and find a truck with no carpet or rip the carpet out of one and study it. the floor plate is removable and easy to make your own custom piece with hand tools.

if your even remotely worried about modding the hole for shifter placement your likely best off to consider buying a truck with a v8 in it.

the floor hole, its the easiest area to deal with modification wise.. the t5 and later tremecs, most guys like where the stang style t5 ends up, some think its back a bit. there are different shifters and housings to tailor it if it comes to that to fit your needs....say a s10 tail if you want it forward a bit or something...just examples. the clutch can be tricky with them depending on what you end up with. thats where the r2 comes in handy. but in a 2wd its not as fun as a stang unit.

if your all ford, the plug and play route is a good way to go for sure. i would start shopping for hci now....edelbrock has some good stuff, and trick flow has a real nice system as well. careful shopping over time can net great deals. dont forget about the 351 options.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals