• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5 conversion

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
How was your experience going from a PS box over to a manual gear box.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Plug and play from a parts swap standpoint. There was a bit of modification required on the length of the steering shaft due to using the 96 dash in the 88 cab. The firewalls are slightly different and had to compensate for that...but using the same steering column and shaft should with your existing gears should work fine.

The gears are the same length and bolt on the same way. The Pitman arms were sligthly different angle but I was able to get it on and probably would have had to modify the tie rods a bit...or you could simply swap the Pitman arms if they mount the same. I recall there was a change of the diameter of the spindle that the arm sits on but but not sure about the specifics.

I should mention that I didn't actually get to drive this vehicle after the body and gear swap due to needing an automatic transmission. My brother was able to move the truck in the driveway and it steered fine...just didn't stop too well because it also needed minor brake work.

Had to sell it because the project became beyond my financial and physical capabilities and I had to move out of the place I was in. Sort of upsetting after all that work but my future was not very certain due to those circumstances and my brother bought me the Dodge van so I could move forward...

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
From what I have been researching online the pitman arm is slightly different from the PS to manual gear box. All the parts are available over the counter if some one wanted to go this route.

Back to the 2.5 conversion or diesel I am still on the fence.

The 2.5 swapped seems a lot more simplistic until we start trying to address the front crank sensor issue on the 2.5 block. It looks to me that the sensors placement must be accurate to with in 1 degree! If that's true that's a very small margin of error.

The simple solution would be to install the 2.5 rotating assembly and cylinder head onto the 2.3 block. However I see that gettin extreamly expensive since you would basicly be doing a full overhaul at that point. This is assuming the 2.3 block doesn't need to be bored other wise you would be adding over sized pistons and more machine work to the list.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I can't remember exactly but I considered swapping the pitman arm over to the manual box. After getting it installed it wasn't that much difference and I'm pretty certain I could have adjusted the linkage to allow things to work without any problems. As mentioned I didn't get to that and was able to drive it without any noticeable binding or problems with steering.

Reading tinman_72's thread I got the impression it wasn't that difficult to install the sensor. I'd imagine that even tapping into the oil galley might not pose a huge problem other than the thickness of the block wall.

The sensor is not actually under any kind of tension so it's not like it will get ripped out of the block if something doesn't work right...like an alternator bracket that I had ripped out of the block somehow and had a heck of a time mounting it again with only two of the three bolts available.

Of course, tapping into an oil galley might pose other problems with shavings so being in the right part of the block would be less worry.

The guy who installed my 2.5 was happy with the results in terms of power and torque...until he bought a new F150 with power everything and a V8 under the hood. Which is what many Ranger owners consider instead of staying with the 4 banger platform. And I've read enough arguments for a 5.0 swap that claimed the V8 was almost as good on fuel consumption as the 4 or 6 cylinder engines.

I stayed away from that because I know me...and if there is an ounce of extra power I will surely use it more often than the speed laws allow...been there...done that...love the under powered engines for what they do...and don't do.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Here is the big question. On the pre 95 OBD-1 2.3s engines use the crank sensor just to determine the engines speed in rpms. Or is it more precise and uses the crank position sensor to know not only the engine speed but also where the engine is in reference to top dead center.

I know this is a very technical questions.

If it's just using the wave band to tell the computer how fast the engine is turning then the sensor doesn't need to be in a exact position. However if the front crank hub assembly and crank position sensor are telling the computer when the each cylinder hits top dead center then that could be a issue.

I just find it a little strange that the crank hub is so different on this motor. Most crank sensors just read a gear with 16-64 teeth depending on make. This one has two raised sections and two open sections. Probaly over thinking this.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I understand it as setting the timing via the signal generated by the ckp sensor that is picked up from the crank pulley...tinman_72 used the crank pulley from the 93 2.3 since the 2.5 doesn't use the same system.

The timing includes firing the injectors via the ECU so everything about timing advance,fuel supply, and ignition is done through the ckp.

I never did get too in depth with the fuel injection hows and wherefores so I'm still actually learning after the fact...lol

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
I talked to my buddy about the motor today. It is out of a 99 with 44,000 miles on the trucks odometer. He said if I wanted the hole dressed engine $700 and it's mine.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I'm not sure what a good price would be in your area. The guy wanted $700 for the rolling frame and engine but let me have it for $600 because he wanted to get rid of it and I had to tow it quite a ways. That was almost 4 years ago from what I recall...

I figured the 96 frame was in better shape and had everything attached so all I really had to do was mount the cab and install the dash. Probably as complicated as it could have gotten.

44,000 is good...probably go for another 250,000 with regular maintenance and upkeep...:icon_thumby:

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
The low mileage is probaly the biggest attraction to it. That's not even broken in for a Lima engine. In the junk yards they are around $500 here but that's also with 100-150K on them. We don't have pick and pulls like they do down south so that also makes the price a little higher.

As long as I can use the 2.5 it seems like a really good deal. I just want to make sure I am not running into any unexpected issues.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
The diesel has won out over the 2.5. For the winter we will still rock the 2.3 since she is still kicking but come summer time I will have a hole pile of 2.3 and R1 transmission parts for sale.

I have wanted to do a diesel swap into a ranger for many years now and I think it will give me what I am looking for.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
It's always nice to make a decision and start to move forward. Keep us informed and take plenty of pics of the build. I'm sure you will be able to inspire anyone who is considering the same thing and it really is nice to see a finished product.

Thanks for the update and I hope to be seeing this in the near future!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals