• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Curious Connector

onlyme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 98 Ranger 2.5, five speed, 2wd, single cab, stepside. When I took my carpet out to clean it I saw this connector that the yellow line is pointing to. I found this picture online, my truck is black not red, but this is the connector Im curious about. Is it important, and what does it go to?

[/URL][/IMG]

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Depending on the option package of your truck. That could be for heated seats, power seats, ejector seat.......

Most of the time when a car maker does a production run for a common item, such as a wiring harness for example. They will design it for the option packages the truck/suv/car CAN have. So when it hits the last leg of the line, when all the bells and whistles get added, it's plug and play.

Any options not purchased? They will likely leave the plugs and connectors secure, but nothing plugged into them. Consider it this way, how many different harnesses would they need if they made an indie one for each option package sold? It's just easier to use a universal harness for that year and model...and add the goodies as needed.

S-

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
+1

Also give us some wire color codes and I or someone can look it up for you if you really need to know for sure.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A hint: Does your truck have an electronic shift transfer case?

And I wish Rangers had wires for all options. But they were making so many Rangers, that it made sense to make customized wiring packages, e.g. XL, XLT, etc and save a coupe bucks (couple bucks * 100k Rangers adds up).

So, I've had to add wires for power windows/locks, etc.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals