• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II 4" Lift wheel questions.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, Ive just about got my 87 Duece back together, and my 4" rough country lift just arrived. Its time for new wheels and tires. Im worried about rolling, and was looking for wider wheels and the wheels moved further outboard. I have fender flares and I dont mind them sticking out, but I can not seem to find wheel specs for this. Rough country recommends 31x10.5x15s. Can some one point me to wheels and tires for a reasonable price? Ive also read that it will clear 33s but I dont want to overload the drivetrain, as i just put a new 2.9 back in. Many thanks.

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the 2.9 isn't what you will hurt with 33s.
On a 87 b2, I would be looking at the d28 front axle to break first, then maybe your tranny.

31x10.50 are typically the biggest you want to run on the d28 without major risk of breaking anything.(that isn't to say it WONT break, its just not as likely.)

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the 2.9 isn't what you will hurt with 33s.
On a 87 b2, I would be looking at the d28 front axle to break first, then maybe your tranny.

31x10.50 are typically the biggest you want to run on the d28 without major risk of breaking anything.(that isn't to say it WONT break, its just not as likely.)
Roger that. What sized wheels and back spacing do I need to achieve a good look and reduce the roll over threat?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
honestly...
I have some regular procomp 8089's with whatever backspacing is normal? 3.75 or 4.5? Idk.. and 285/75/16's.. it's stable. It's not anywhere near as bad as people make it sound like.

just remember it's not a sports car. I've been in some off camber stuff offroading, and NOW with my softer coils, it's kinda tippy feeling when the sway bar is disconnected. With the Stiff RC coils, you'll be fine IMO. just an inch or so backspacing won't change it a ton anyway... when I was younger and dumber, I drove my 4.0 B2 down the interstate at 90ish and never rolled it. (I don't recommend this btw lol).

and if you're that worried, keep your COG low (less lift and more fenders cutting) and you can always add a 1" wheel spacer or something.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you dont want to change your front axle (which is what I would suggest before spending good money on tires) then get some 31x10.50. You can even run them on the stock rims most likely (I do, had to remove the sway bar to stop rubbing, but thats all)

If you want to get new wheels with different backspacing, I am pretty sure 4.25" BS is the standard? Check the tech library, It will have the answer for sure.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you dont want to change your front axle (which is what I would suggest before spending good money on tires) then get some 31x10.50. You can even run them on the stock rims most likely (I do, had to remove the sway bar to stop rubbing, but thats all)

If you want to get new wheels with different backspacing, I am pretty sure 4.25" BS is the standard? Check the tech library, It will have the answer for sure.
It was recommended to me to swap in full size bronco axles. Im in the hunt on the cheap as Ive spent so much money with the motor and lift and bushings....ect. Im not seeing anything cut and dry in the library. So 15x10 with 4.5 BS. Is there an offset or is that the offset? Im new to the empirial wheel measurements. Where should I b shopping for axles, tires and wheels. I will go bigger when I get the axels sorted but now I just need something while I save up.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Ive been running 33s on my dana 28 with 3.73 gears for the last year. Havent had any issues yet other than my locking hubs are beginning to squeak as they roll. I would upgrade to atleast 4.10 when running 33s and i dont have the fancy 2.9:) just the old tired 2.8:) i know one day that axle will snap but ill cross that creek when i get there

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
By the way im running a 4" lift with 5" coils from skyjacker. And my 33 only rub my sway bar because my alignment is a little off. Need to get that fixed, add it to the list i guess. I bottom out against the fender if i go throught some rough sh!t but being you have fender flares you may be in luck. If not 32" will definintly work

wild horse

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Well I have a 84" B2 with the stock dana 28 and 7.5 rear (both open diff's) with 3:45 ratio and I have a 8" skyjacker with a 3" body and am running 36x12.5x15 buckshot"s with the stock BS and have not had any trouble except now my front axle u-joints are shot is all . And on top of it I have a 351 windsor under the hood so it's all about how you take care of things and I havent rolled over yet so you should be good. And I beleave the B2"s call for 4.25" BS.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I don't see how anyone likes 33's and 3.73 gears on a 2.8 or 2.9....

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well I think I will go with 31s until I get some more money together. I should be more clear, I dont know my backside from a hole in the ground when in comes to emperial wheel and tire measurements. Im afraid im going to need spoon fed here. Lol. So is there an offset I need to look for when buying wheels? or is it just 10.5x15 with 4.25 bs?

Where should I be shopping for wheels?

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also do I want 10.5 wheels? Is it cheaper to get 8,9 ect and have a bit of bulge?

jkent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
If I were you I would be looking for 15x8 rims with 3.5"-4.25" of backspace to run 31x10.5 tires. A 10" wide rim is too wide for a 10.5 tire IMO, sure it will fit but it's just too much rim. I run my 33x12.5s on 8" wide rim with no problems.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If I were you I would be looking for 15x8 rims with 3.5"-4.25" of backspace to run 31x10.5 tires. A 10" wide rim is too wide for a 10.5 tire IMO, sure it will fit but it's just too much rim. I run my 33x12.5s on 8" wide rim with no problems.
Awesome. So 0.00 Offset is what im seeing at tire rack on most. This jive with everybody?

jkent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
An 8" wide rim with 4" backspace would have 0 offset. Offset is the distance from the centerline of the rim to the mounting surface.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals