• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 BII 2.8 to 92 4.0 Confirming my thoughts

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
When life is passing you by, downshift!
Alright, not much to add, just doing minor stuff in the mean time until we get parts ordered. Dad got his radio hooked up while i tackled hooking up the y-pipe and finishing all the bolts on the bell housing. I was trying to top off the power steering pump and found out that we will be needing a line for that as well, no biggie.

List of things needed to get this thing mobile
Finish hooking up and routing fuel lines
master cylinder replaced and bled
top off antifreeze
driveshafts installed
interior buttoned up
rest of exhaust installed.

stickboy697

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies, couple new questions...

Thanks Adsm for your input on the shorting bar, got us in business and we were able to hear the 4.0 purr in it's new home. :headbang: Lariat began looking over the drive situation and brought it to my attention that the front shaft that we have is too short. We have 85 B2 with D28 in front and 7.5 rear for the time being. The donor was 92 Ranger ex cab, both vehicles were 4x4 5spds. We kept the M50D from the 92 along with the elec shift transfer case. Have the front shaft from the 92 that appears too short (I haven't confirmed, Lariat just said it's too short). Bought it with a blown 2.8, and has what appears to be 3"-4" of lift. From the information I have read, it would appear that a Rear drive shaft from an A4LD equipped B2 of any year, or 88-90 M5OD equipped B2 should bolt in. (looking to avoid CV joint style shaft with the lift) The rear drive shaft that was in it became too long, but upon inspection has a manufacture year of 93 on a Ford decal but the other numbers are illegible to look up what it was before it was installed on an 85 B2, I may try and cut it down. I believe that I need a front drive shaft from an A4LD equipped B2 or an 88-90 as well, since we haven't swapped the D35 in yet, which would call for the front shaft from an FM 145 equipped RBV. I have read too many peoples write ups and my head is swimming and simply want to know what I need to procure, as nearest custom drive shaft shop is 2 hours away and about $225/shaft to make them. Thanks in advance for any
input!

vwa1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey cool, another SW Iowa dude! I'm just north of Atlantic. I'm wanting to do the same swap, but funds won't allow it this year probably. Mine is an 89, so it sounds a little less complicated. Good luck with the swap!

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Hey cool, another SW Iowa dude! I'm just north of Atlantic. I'm wanting to do the same swap, but funds won't allow it this year probably. Mine is an 89, so it sounds a little less complicated. Good luck with the swap!
its time consuming, but it's fun!

Also, I'll be working on installing the interior now. What would be a good place to mount the automatic 4x4 module?

Last edited:

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
The BII is now rolling around under its own power! We did however find out that the power steering pump is a little slow. We need to bleed the brakes again as they are a bit squishy. I did surprise my dad (stickboy697) yesterday when i got the fuel lines finished, clutch master cyl installed and bled, and driveshafts installed. Started it up, and pulled it out of the workspace it has been sitting in since November-ish. The cold winter in a non insulated shop has kind of hindered us. I will say It is coming together nicely though. We are in the process of installing the rest of the interior and buttoning up a few things. I did find a spot for the 4x4 module The armrest support behind the panel had an open space allowing me to drill holes to bolt the module to and thankfully the 4x4 works!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals