• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch pedal quit working

JFortner5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FFV
Transmission
Manual
I just drove home from work and got within a mile of my house, slowed down for a turn and went for 2nd gear and it wouldn't go. Let the clutch out and rev matched it. Had to do that the rest of the way home. With the truck in gear moving, I push the clutch in and it doesn't disengage.

My first guess was the slave cylinder, but the pedal feels completely normal.

I don't have much time to mess with it tonight and I've got to go to work in the morning.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Slip your foot off and let it slam up from fully depressed, repeatedly.
Engine off, or neutral. Might help.

You did check it for fluid, after removing the cap and pulling out the rubber, yeah?

JFortner5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FFV
Transmission
Manual
Yes sorry forgot to mention that. There was fluid in there, I did top it off a little.

I guess I'll just start it in gear and "float" gears to work. My drive is mostly interstate anyway. I just need to get there and back tomorrow, Wednesday I can drive my work truck home.

I also should have mentioned that the past week or so when I let the clutch out I was getting some noise. Just when it was grabbing. Once it was fully engaged the noise was gone.

I'm starting to wonder if I may have a broken spring or fingers on the pressure plate.

Either way if the trans is coming out I'm replacing everything any there. I'm on a pretty tight budget, any recommendations on a clutch kit and slave?

I will be doing the labor myself. I have a decent tool collection and am comfortable doing the job.

JFortner5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FFV
Transmission
Manual
I pulled the inspection cover off just now, I don't have anybody around to push the clutch while I watch but it looked dry in there. I did notice that between the engine and transmission is wet, but it's not oil it looks clear like brake fluid.

I tried sidestepping the clutch and pushed it in and out about 30 times. It's not releasing at all.

Should be an interesting drive in the morning.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
Brake fluid=Clutch fluid( so to speak). Normally I would say it sounds like a blown slave. But the fact that the clutch feels normal is weird.

JFortner5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FFV
Transmission
Manual
Yeah that's why I'm confused.

Anyway I started it up this morning and started pushing it out of the driveway. I shut it off, put it in first and started it to take off and the clutch started working again.

It worked fine all the way to work. I think I still need to pull it apart and see what's going on with it.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Cold weather will shrink rubber seals. Just for grins, I would bleed the fluid. My Datsun pick up used to require an annual clutch fluid bleed. :D

JFortner5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FFV
Transmission
Manual
I'll do that, maybe I should pull the master cylinder and bench bleed it too.

It would be nice if that's all it is. I just walked out a minute ago and it's still working. Rolls easily with the pedal pushed.

JFortner5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FFV
Transmission
Manual
Just an update, it's still doing just fine. The noise I was getting when the clutch would engage is gone too.

I have some suspicion that this truck sat for a while before I bought it. I don't know if something froze up but I'm gonna ride it out for now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals