• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 ranger rear end swap

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you didn't build it; it's not really yours
Hey Gang, we upgraded the old stock 14" wheels to 15" with 30" tires. We like the look and the ride much better but we lost some acceleration and made 5th gear just about unusable. It has the stock 3.45 gears and I would like to swap the rearend out for a 4.10. I researched this in the tech section and know to look for a code 87 axle. However, it is my understanding the 1st gen rearends are two inches narrower than the 93 and up. Is that the only difference? Can I bolt-in a 93 and up rearend or is there more to it?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
If they're from a Ranger, they'll swap.

I doubt you'll notice the difference in width. Well, you will since you'd be used to looking at the truck with the skinnier rear axle, but it won't look weird afterwards. The Explorer axle in my truck is about 3" wider overall (1.5" on either side) than the 93+, it looked really strange at first, but now it's normal, and no one notices the difference.

Congrats on the choice to go deep. I'm running 4.56 on 29" tires, and love it!

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you are going to get a junkyard axle or something, might as well get a 8.8 from a 4.0l ranger - its a direct bolt in but much stronger.

You can find everything you need to know about axle identification in the Tech Library, found at the top of the page, under Info - Technical.

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
OK so a 93 up is a direct bolt-in swap? The extra inch won't make any difference? It seems like the tire is pretty close to the fender as it is

Surrey there is no reason to go with the 8.8. This is just a DD and occasional farm truck/parts chaser. My main objectives are cost, reliability and fuel economy.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Well, if your concerned get a 92 and older 8.8.

I never notice the extra 1.5" on my '97 anymore.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Surrey there is no reason to go with the 8.8. This is just a DD and occasional farm truck/parts chaser. My main objectives are cost, reliability and fuel economy.
The 8.8 will cost the exact same as a new 7.5 from most JY, is a direct bolt in replacement, and is stronger. If anything, there is no reason NOT to.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
What motor are you running the 2.8 would probably be a good match with with the 4.10 but if your running the 4 cyl yea you probably want to go deeper. I`m running the 215 75R 15s and swapped in a 3.73 LS carrier and get good acceleration with the 2.8 just whatever you decide you will need to change the speedo gear for jonny law.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
code 87 is a 7.5 4.10 open
code 97 is a 8.8 4.10 open
code F7 is a 7.5 4.10 LS
code R7 is a 8.8 4.10 LS
I believe all four are plug and play

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The 8.8 will cost the exact same as a new 7.5 from most JY, is a direct bolt in replacement, and is stronger. If anything, there is no reason NOT to.
I am somewhat familiar with a the 8.8 as I was shopping for one for my 65 mustang. Are the Ranger 8.8s different than the explorer 8.8s?

I found a 7.5 with 4.10s for $150. Decent price?

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am somewhat familiar with a the 8.8 as I was shopping for one for my 65 mustang. Are the Ranger 8.8s different than the explorer 8.8s?

I found a 7.5 with 4.10s for $150. Decent price?
Ranger 8.8 has spring perches ontop of the axle, Explorers are under the axle. (so people typically put new mounts on top to use under a Ranger) Explorer axles are also stronger, but as stated involve at least some modification. If you get an axle out of a 1990 or 1991 4.0l Ranger, there is no welding or cutting or anything.

I wouldn't pay $150 for a 7.5...

edit - thats not to say its not worth that, I really dont know their value... I think any money into a 7.5 is wasted more or less.

as for gears, I used to run 31x10.50r15s on a Bronco 2, with 2.9l engine, and 3.45 gears. Never bothered me any, she did highway speeds without issue, and kept speed up hills without struggle.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The explorer axles are 31 spline 8.8, the ranger 8.8 has the same axles as the 7.5 just the carrier bearings and gears are beefier on the 8,8. With the bigger tires you probably want the 8.8 carrier for the added stress on the ring and pinion but for normal use the 7.5s have been running for years. You didn`t say what engine you have?

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
You didn`t say what engine you have?
The 2.3 FI. It is OK but it lost a lot of oomph with the larger tires and 5th is just about unusable.

I don't know if $150 is a good price or not for a 7.5 with 4.10 gears. I just know I can be done with it for $150. I am not that worried about strength. It is my daughter's daily driver and my occasional parts chaser.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The 2.3 FI. It is OK but it lost a lot of oomph with the larger tires and 5th is just about unusable.

I don't know if $150 is a good price or not for a 7.5 with 4.10 gears. I just know I can be done with it for $150. I am not that worried about strength. It is my daughter's daily driver and my occasional parts chaser.
Call a local junk yard or two, ask what they charge for one.

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I think I might have found a 4.09 ratio rear end for my Ranger. How do I check it out of the vehicle if there is no axle tag? can I just turn the pinion and count the wheel rotations? Is it that simple?
TIA,
Jim

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
4.09 was never used in Ford axles that I know of, it should be 4.10:1.

Yes, you can rotate the assembly by hand to find the gear ratio.

if it's an open differential, best way is to fix one side so that it cannot turn, then rotate the other side TWO complete rotations while counting how may turns the pinion moves.

4.1 turns = 4.10, 3¾ turns = 3.73, etc.

The above method works the same on a factory L/S diff also, though it may be harder to turn it by hand.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals