• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wire harness

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
What years will work for replacing the engine wire harness in my 98 4.0 ranger? Will explorer harnesses work too? It's a manual, will an auto harness work? Only thing on the tranny is the reverse lights anyways, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i believe youve said previously you had a ohv 4.0?

i know you need a new ecu if you swap from manual to auto, so i bet an auto wiring harness would be out. (neutral safety switch)

i know in 1997 the explorer started using the sohc, idk if they continued to use the ohv thru 2001.

i would shoot for about the same model you have, the only difference should really be the intake sensors, and i have found that you can swap 1991 sensors onto a 1997 engine, if you swap the intake and such, not sure about the years after that. i would assume so.

i would go hunt around the pull and save see if you cant find one nearly indentical to your truck.

im betting that anything from 1996, to 2001 with a manual transmission would work. assuming that those years all have the same intake manifold.

Last edited:

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I already have the motor in the truck and have been running it for a couple of years with my hack job 3.0 harness and i want a nice one actually made for the thing before the wiring sh*ts out on me haha. NSS has been overridden so I'm not concerned about that, when I tried the 4.0 harness that came with my motor the starter wouldn't bump but it did with my 3.0 harness, I'm wondering if since the truck is a 99(and has pats) and the wiring harness/motor that I got is from a 98 (and didn't have pats) if there was a wire missing from it. And I was too dumb back then to realize or think about it

Truck just has a couple issues that I'm thinking are related to the wires being incorrect lengths and all that and causing incorrect resistance. And again I don't want my hack job to bite me in the ass later on

Last edited:

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Oh and btw for anyone who wants to know if you use a PCM from a year that didn't have pats then u don't need to go to ford and get all that dealt with, my theft light flashes for the first couple minutes of driving and goes away

With a steel key the fuel pump kicks on but won't bump the starter , with the chipped key it does. Just FYI to all u swappers!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
On a 98 I would imagine a 96 or 97 harness should work, probably a 99 too. But I'm not 100% sure.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do you think an explorer harness would work too? As far as the reverse lights go I'm sure I could find the wires and splice a connector in for that part, I don't mind that being butt connected just the rest of it being that way Has me worried

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would stay away from Explorers if you aren't really good with electrical. The Ex harnesses are a bit different and if you aren't careful you can end up with no lights in the rear.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Wow weird I figured the engine part wouldn't have anything to do with the chassis wiring but okay thanks for the info man appreciate it

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
On a 98 I would imagine a 96 or 97 harness should work, probably a 99 too. But I'm not 100% sure.
96 and 97 harness will not work on 98, main engine to body plug is wired differently, as in alternator harness runs through it in 98 and doesnt up to that point, there are a few pins that change position between 97 and 98 also. In all of the swaps I have dealt with, pats is additional, pats uses 2 wires at pcm to communicate, that simply would be unused in a similar non pats harness. If you want to use a pats computer in a swap, 01 and up computers are easier to work with as there is only the pcm and pats transponder at keyswitch, 99 to 01 are a different style of pats that use a separate pats module to communicate between the pcm and key.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
96 and 97 harness will not work on 98, main engine to body plug is wired differently, as in alternator harness runs through it in 98 and doesnt up to that point, there are a few pins that change position between 97 and 98 also. In all of the swaps I have dealt with, pats is additional, pats uses 2 wires at pcm to communicate, that simply would be unused in a similar non pats harness. If you want to use a pats computer in a swap, 01 and up computers are easier to work with as there is only the pcm and pats transponder at keyswitch, 99 to 01 are a different style of pats that use a separate pats module to communicate between the pcm and key.

So should I get a 99-00 4.0 ranger harness? My truck is a 99 and has pats. And again an explorer harness will not work period?

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Explorer harnesses are a bit harder to work with, a 98 to 00 ranger harness should work just fine

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals