• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Factory spare tire carrier

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Does anybody know what the maximum weight the swing out tire carrier will handle? I want to mount a black 48"x 24" cargo box on it to store my camping gear.

work_in_progress

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't try that. Use your roof rack or get a trailer hitch (if you have one) carrier, its not worth ripping that off by accident. The Tech Forums should have it either on BII Corral or TRS

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Given the horrible results of tire carriers failing carrying spare tires, I would certainly not want to try mounting a gear carrier on it. For a couple hundred bucks or less, Harbor Freight carries the hitch mount type carriers which would be far better and hold around 500lbs, which is kind of a lie, you still have to consider what the tongue weight limits are of your vehicle, so check that before loading up a cargo carrier of any type. Personally I would just buy a small 4'x8' trailer to carry my camping gear in, far easier, more reliable and you can just leave your camping gear in it and cover it with a tarp when not being used.

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
A hitch rack was my choice,thanks for the info

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You could build a better swing away tire gate if you ever feel like ditching the hitch rack. I find that they kill your departure angles and you risk losing gear.

For example..

I used to live in Surprise, AZ. I don't know if you've ever wheeled into the Bradshaws, but I tried to with a hitchrack on my old Jeep XJ. It had a 3" lift and sat on 32's, but somewhere along the trail, while bumping and crawling around, my rack got slammed, bent up, and bungees snapped/slipped allowing two duffels containing about $300 worth of gear to tumble into the unknown.

I have a roof rack on my Bronco now, and even though I don't encounter the steep trails and drop offs here in the south like I did back home, I still don't trust a hitchrack offroad, and seeing as how I'll end up back in the valley here in the next few years, I'm glad I've already learned my lesson.

Good luck, though. I hope it works out for you.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hitch racks are great for camping gear. As long as your camp site is before the good trails.

Same thing goes with roof racks. You dont want too much weight up top once you hit the good stuff...

Spare tire carrier in its stock formation is garbage. If you want a swing-out tire gate, you need to get a new one thats built up from the bumper - the stock one breaks the body where it mounts.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Personally I would just buy a small 4'x8' trailer to carry my camping gear in, far easier, more reliable and you can just leave your camping gear in it and cover it with a tarp when not being used.
Unless you live in a particularly warm and dry climate, you dont wanna be leaving tents or sleeping bags in a trailer unless its enclosed. Otherwise you'll get mold problems.

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
To the Lost Bushman,I ve been on 'the back road to Crown King' and that's no trail for 'extras'.As being retired due to a bad motorcycle accident my motoring now days is across this great nation of ours.Boys Iam heading to Yellowstone Park tomorrow,so all of you B2 owners have a great summer!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals