• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

When did B2s get a Dana 35?

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
holy crap yall have some good eyes...im too young so ill blame it on the computer moniter:thefinger:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
mazda
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
I explain that to people all the time but it seems to be easier to tell them to just count the bolts...

92xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys...thereis a noticable difference in them seeing them side by side...now is this based this based like the dana 35 under the rear of jeeps? or is it stronger?and what is the largest tire i can run with a locker in front?sorry if this is posted somewhere alreadyand sorry about the highjack...but it is d35 questions.....

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the D35 is pretty strong for what it is. the axles and u joints are close to the same size as a d44, it just isnt a solid axle. the ring gear in a d35 is smaller than tha of a d44 tho.

i dont think it is very comparable to the rear axle of a jeep. that being said, a jeep dana 35 is strong if the vehicle is kept in stock form. once bigger tires are added you're almost sure to break it if you wheel it hard. i think a ford 7.5 is even stronger than a jeep d35. a lot of people swap 8.8's in for their d35's

personally, i'm not going higher than 33's on my d35. a lot of people have broken stuff with 35's....but at the same time, i'm sure people have run larger tires and been fine....just depends on how you operate the long and skinny pedal

you've got a good axle there, as long as you dont overdo it

92xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes i have had a bunch of jeeps and the 35 is junk...broke all of them...lol all got 8.8's. i plan on running 33x12.5 claws on a 15x10 wheels.and here in florida not alot of rocks...i will mostly trailride and some mud and man made rock gardens and lots of hills and off camber stuff.i am 40 and have been wheelin for 15+ years and know how to drive offroad,not a dumbing that thinks fast is the way to do it...i like it slow and technical.
yeah i know its a ttb in the bronco...just did not know how strong it is.but looks as if it is pretty decent from what you say.and thank you for your info.i have added to your rep for your great info.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yes i have had a bunch of jeeps and the 35 is junk...broke all of them...lol all got 8.8's. i plan on running 33x12.5 claws on a 15x10 wheels.and here in florida not alot of rocks...i will mostly trailride and some mud and man made rock gardens and lots of hills and off camber stuff.i am 40 and have been wheelin for 15+ years and know how to drive offroad,not a dumbing that thinks fast is the way to do it...i like it slow and technical.
yeah i know its a ttb in the bronco...just did not know how strong it is.but looks as if it is pretty decent from what you say.and thank you for your info.i have added to your rep for your great info.
oh ok, i've never had a jeep, but i'd swap out the 35 ASAP if i had one. i'd actually like to build one after my b2. just for a beater

not a problem man, if you need info or want a good bathroom read, i'd print out some articles from the tech library and read through them. there's a bunch of upgrades for the d35 (using D44 TTB knuckles for instance).

lockers arent too expensive either....i plan on running a lockright in mine.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
thanks guys...thereis a noticable difference in them seeing them side by side...now is this based this based like the dana 35 under the rear of jeeps? or is it stronger?and what is the largest tire i can run with a locker in front?sorry if this is posted somewhere alreadyand sorry about the highjack...but it is d35 questions.....
A D35 is pretty much a D35 in terms of gear & shaft strength, however the big difference here is our D35 is up front, whereas Jeep puts theirs out back. Because a rear axle tends to do 70-80% of the work when climbing a hill (or during a hard launch), you'll always see many more problems with one in the rear.
Additionally, the axle housing (tubes) on the Jeep version tends to bend rather easily (throwing the shafts out of alignment with the carrier) which is something that's not an issue on the front TTB version.

As for tire size, you're typically safe with 35x12.50s unless you got issues with the skinny pedal (many have gotten away with 37x12.50s even). The Jeep locking hub upgrade or the 44 knuckles swap would get you some additional strength over the stock hubs it comes with (auto or manual), which is good to have if you're running a locker.

92xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks...i will run a locker oneday,i do have issuses somewhat with the skinny pedal so i guess i will go no bigger then 33's.

92xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok should a 1991 ranger 4x4 std cab lwb have a d35 front?

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

92xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok good...i have one with a 8.8 rear...but its a parts truck...no title....the locking hubs and a few other things are going in my x

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals