• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SOHC or OHV and some suggestions?

2ruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
"Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you"
I've been told by several to just use the OHV out of a ranger or explorer but my friend who would be assisting (at least solely with electrical, lol) says that the electrical isn't an issue, it's getting the motor in that's the concern.

I've seen some stuff on here about how the OHV essentially is an R&R motor for an 89 B2 whereas to make a SOHC fit there's much more electrical work needed. As well as, lifting the body, cutting the core support, notching the subframe... etc. Is that the case? I'm just trying to figure out the best spare vehicle to purchase instead of having to source everything individually. Does that make sense?

For instance, I can get a 95-97 4.0 explorer and still have the OHV motor as well as a D35 and the disc brake 8.8; or, I can get a 97+ explorer and get the SOHC with the D35 & disc 8.8. I would still need to source the manual trans for either of those. Or, I can source a 90-00 4.0 4x4 Ranger for the D35, OHV and manual trans but then still need to source an 8.8 rear.

Are all the OHVs the same if that's the route to go? Can I get any of them and it's the same "ease of transplant" due to size and wiring vs the "oversized/engine bay hacking" electrical monster that is the SOHC?

The B2 will essentially be a dirty weekend toy. So I'll still need some insight as to how far I would need to take all the axle upgrades and lift. I would like to get a 4.0 and refresh it at least to drop in, get the 8.8 disc rear and a d35 and freshen those up. I've been told I can use my transfer case for any of the 4.0 swaps but I should REALLY find a 4.0 manual trans as the 2.9 won't hold up long. I'm not looking for anything crazy to drive as it'll still be on the road and I'm not rock crawling. I figure a few inches (has two inches already) and maybe some 31-33s. I've been looking around to see what's needed driveline wise for that kind of mod as well as adjusting gears, but do I really need to do D44 knuckle swap, or any of the other long list of "bombproofing" listed on other pages?

I have no problem with over engineering and would love to have it more than strong enough for anything I intend to do to try to help ensure we don't break down on the property, lol

This rig is essentially (at least at first) going to be used for getting through hunting property, through some mud and more beginner/intermediate trails until I have more money and time, lol.

OR, should I just leave it how it is (2.9L 5spd with manual t case and manual hubs, looks like a 2" lift with blocks in the rear and a full spring up front) and just put bigger tires on it?

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You can use the 2.9 engine mount plates and the SOHC will drop in. It does require hacking the heater box to almost nothing over the opening where the air goes in.

The exhaust is fun though.

2ruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
i kind of want heat.... and air.... lol - that mean no sohc?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Probably. I had one in my engine bay, and i had an air box installed. Flow was crappy and the restriction made the blower super loud. I had serious issues with back-firing and needed the truck, so I put the OHV back in. A 2" body lift would probably have fixed most of the issues involving the clearance with the air box, but that was non-AC. I really don't see an AC box and the SOHC engine ever fitting a pre-95 engine bay.

2ruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Lol, thanks! Mucho helpful. I've been looking at sticking with a manual transmission; I know an auto would be "easier" and I'm kind of open to it, would you recommend doing a 4.0 ranger swap in to the b2 (because manuals are easier to find) or an automatic?

And if so, should the OHV from a 90-00 4.0 4x4 work?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Pretty much any 4.0 OHV will work. It all depends on how you want to do it. If you find a Ranger from 90-92 and get the whole thing that is the BEST option. A whole Explorer up to 94 can work as well, but it is a bit more involved.

For what you are doing the earlier ones would be my preference.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals