• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Almost done with the 302 swap, encountered a problem!!

markopolo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what about injectors? what do they ohm out to be? one could be clogged or not working right. is that a throttle body inj engine?

mini274

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
o2 sensors if u fired it up fresh with no o2s the computer is running its memory and prob in limp mode as the computer never relearned the o2s so i would suggest hooking them up and unhooking your battery and reset everything then fire it up and let it idle til it warms up so the computer relearns evrything

wade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
No O2 sensors - won't go into "closed loop" - will drink gas like an "Obama Clunker"!

And, although, the Rangers may have all had basically the same pump; I'll betcha' that a 1988 5.0L Lincoln Town Car had a higher capacity pump.

Last edited:

Got302ci

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so this time I measured everything with the batt disconnected (pics to follow) and the Neg wire of the multi-meter attached to the neg batt cable and the positive multi meter wire connected to the various grounds I was checking:

The ECM power ground pins (2 of them) both showed .2 ohms to ground

The MAP showed .3 ohms to ground

The ECT Sensor showed .1 ohms to ground

The TPS showed .1 ohms to ground

Then I checked each sensor's sig output wire to the respective ECM's pin for that sensors wire.

They all were within .1-.3 ohms

I also checked the ECT sensor and it was reading 12.82K ohms and the engine is cold and hadnt been run yet today.

I will check the intake manifold for leaks in a little bit.

Oh and the case ground as well as the ignition harness shield are grounded to one of the two studs that hold the PCM into the firewall and have .1 ohms to batt neg cable.

This is starting to sound like a vacuum leak to me and my dad and a few other people that I have talked to but I will not rule out an electronic problem.

BTW I did have the upper and lower intake apart but I installed a brand new gasket when I put them back together.

Got302ci

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey you guys think it would just be easier to get a damn CFI (throttle body injection) manifold and computer and just run that instead???

Got302ci

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I sprayed the intake and vacuum lines and could not find any leaks and I do not hear the tell tale hiss of a leak either so I am at a loss.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, first and foremost before you do anything...HOOK UP THE O2 SENSORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! An engine running with no O2 sensors is like u running for 5 miles breathing only through your nose with one nostril clogged. Was the O2 sensors hooked up in the lincoln when it had power and ran right?? (Yes) A computer will regulate fuel pressure, timing, and power through feedback of the O2's. Like previously said, hook em up, disconnect battery for 10 minutes and then start and warm it up so the comp can re-learn.
Also, the 4, 6, and 8 cyl EFI setups (with the exception of forced induction vehicles) all used the same volume fuel pump (88 LPH), so its not that. No O2 sensor will cause a lean A/F ratio, the reason why it runs better when the FPR vacuum line is disconnected. Your readings/measurements seem normal, but again, without the 02's they will be off...
Exactly what emisions did you delete from the system?? Did you delete the EGR plate, or just disconnect it?? To gain the most from the engine and remove the power robbing emissions, connect everything except the smog pump. Back in my mustang days we used to bypass the smog pump pulley...deleting any more than that and we always ran into problems with the engine running right. Try that and we'll go from there:icon_thumby:
SVT

Got302ci

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yea the O2 sensors are only disconnected because I am waiting on exhaust parts to build the exhaust system so that will get built soon.

Second I removed the AIR junk and I also just didnt re-connect the EGR valve.

The vacuum solinoid is no longer present however the valve and plate are still there just stuck closed lol.

Fordtechguru on pirate4x4 said my MAP is also bad based on some readings I gave him so I will pick up a few when I go to the PNP this weekend.

88302Camotruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I had a bad wire on my IAC valve next to the intake plenium. I would wiggle it and it would idle so off I went. Got to my destination and it would stall at idle. When I replaced the part I noticed the break inside the heat shrink.....
Maybe, maybe not your issue.....

wade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey you guys think it would just be easier to get a damn CFI (throttle body injection) manifold and computer and just run that instead???
Kinda' like this?

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Thats the samething that is on my truck only mines for a 3.8 v-6 though I do have that same CFI unit for a v-8 in my garage, came off an 84 Crown Vic. I will say they are very reliable. What kind of milage are you getting off the CFI unit on your v-8 wade?

wade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Not on road, yet. Engine is running but have bugs to work out. Also, have brakes and suspension to go through.
I like the CFI because its just a simple speed density setup and offers better drivability than carb.

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Mine has hanging high idle but I think I know how to fix it, the 3.8 CFi has an acuator on the drivers side that makes contact with the throttle lever. I think I need to move it to the front of the truck so the computer cant control it as much and it can go back to idle faster. But my system did come off an automatic so I think that may have something to do with it.

HOT_ROD_CAR

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
351 Cleveland
Transmission
Automatic
you can set the timing with a vacuum gauge if you have one. You might just want to check the fuel presuure and volume if you can snag a tester off a friend or someone.

Don't mean to jump in on your discussion, but could you explain how to set the timing using a vacuum gauge? That sounds like a very handy procedure! Thank you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals