Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 12-29-2017, 10:48 PM   #1
Eric H

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 OHV
Eric H is on a distinguished road
Default PS Pump Noise Through Upgraded Steering Shaft

For those who have upgraded their intermediate steering shaft to a non-rag joint type like flaming river, borgeson, etc - Have you had any problems with the whine/noise from the power steering pump traveling up the shaft into the cab?

I just put a borgeson telescoping shaft with u joints in and although it feels great, I'm hearing the PS pump through the steering wheel when I turn and the pump is working... Perhaps this was dampened by the rubber rag joints on the old shaft.

Thoughts/experiences?
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Not shown to 'Premium Members')
Old 12-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #2
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

I can see that noise being dampened a lot by a rubber joint. Rubber doesn't telegraph noise like metal will.

I know noise from that style pump is somewhat normal, but it shouldn't be that bad. Maybe your pump is getting worn out.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

When people ask me "what's wrong with you?" I ask them "where would you like me to start?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Sowell
If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization then be prepared to accept barabrism.

Shop manuals
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:46 PM   #3
Eric H

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 OHV
Eric H is on a distinguished road

I've thought about replacing the pump, but don't know if it's really necessary. It seems to work fine, although they're not very expensive so I may just do it.

On a side note, how tight can the steering get on these trucks?
I've been on a marathon replacing steering parts in an effort to get rid of the play in my steering -

Upper and Lower Ball Joints - MOOG
Inner and Outer Tie Rods - MOOG
Superlift Drop Pitman Arm
Reman. Gear Box - Redhead Steering
Upgraded Steering Shaft - Borgeson

Definitely helped, but theres still a couple inches of play in my steering...

Are there any wearable parts further up from the steering shaft to the steering wheel?
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:05 AM   #4
4x4junkie
Mall-Rated

Vehicle Year: 1990,1994
Vehicle Model: Bronco II, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Crawling over things
4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold

Play within the steering gear box is pretty common on these trucks. You said you already replaced it, however I would check anyway to see if there is any rotational input to the box without a corresponding movement of the sector shaft (have someone turn the wheel slightly while you watch it). If this is the case, you may be able to eliminate the play by adjusting the meshload (bolt w/locknut on top) a little tighter (just be careful not to overdo it and bind up the box). Otherwise I would suggest exchange it for another one (problems like that in reman'ed products are not uncommon).

As for the vibration, it's probably something to be expected. I still have the factory rag joints on mine and I can feel the pump vibrations a little bit in the wheel when working it under a load. Without any rag joints at all I can see how vibration traveling up the column shaft would increase many-fold.

'94 Ranger XLT
6" Skyjacker, ARB D44 front, Detroit 8.8" rear, Atlas 4.3, 33s
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #5
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

gm box, gm pump and swingset steering.

only way to make it handle like a car.
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #6
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

back in the old days..the aerostar linkage actually reduced the feedback in my case. and made the steering better.

but you really have to play with these and live with tire wear to have the type of steering your wanting with the way they were built in stock form...which is garbage if you want it to be precise like a car..

I have had 3 styles of pump...and 5 styles of steering gear and not sure how many link configurations all on the same truck from stock dana 28 to dana 60's with 44 inch tires..

best setup was 2wd chevy box with Saginaw pump and crossover steering with a dead match trac-bar on a rear shackle leaf sprung dana 60....by miles.

now I run a otr ford box with hard jeep steering shaft...no trac bar, on leafs with front shackles and its as vague over center as a normal ttb...and about as responsive as an oil tanker. but I just live with it. keeps me awake.

10 minutes in my rig and you will think yours handles like a new vette
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote