Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > Fullsize Trucks > Fullsize Ford Trucks

Old 12-07-2017, 12:06 PM   #21
alwaysFlOoReD
I want a belly rub...

Vehicle Year: '91, '94, '77
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger, ranger, f-250
I use this vehicle for: 4x4 race, 4x4, towing
alwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud of

I got it running and drove it a few hundred yards into a friends shop. I spent the last two days wire wheeling the old paint and caulking off the roof. I bought 5 gallons of RC2000, a paint meant for metal roofs $300. Ends up I could have done the job with one gallon. Now it's time to check the fridge, electrical, propane and water systems.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:28 AM   #22
alwaysFlOoReD
I want a belly rub...

alwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud of

I pressurized the water system, it held 25 psi for 5 minutes...good enough. I cracked a tap and pink anti-freeze came out so it looks as the original owner took care of that.

I went and bought 2 x 6-volt batteries, that cost just about as much as the RV did As I was unloading the second battery my shoulder gave out and I hit the bottom of the battery against a sharp edge. FUCQUE!!! Battery acid came streaming out over the tailgate and some got my pants as well. I phoned the Battery Doctors [the local place where I buy all my batteries ...I try to support local.] and they said they could weld it shut for about $30-40. Well, at least it's salvageable.

There are a bunch of cubby holes around the outside of the RV. EVERY one had a different key. What a pain in the ass that gets to be. I happened to be in Princess Auto and thought I would check for locks. It happens they had some sets hanging up, and they were all keyed the same... I cleaned them out, and $10 a pop isn't bad until you add up the total...$100.00! At least I won't be a walking chime.

There is two fuel tanks. One is a homemade job and the fuel lines are dry rotted. The tank is full too! It was fun watching the tow truck driver leave a trail way back when I first got this unit. Back then I just used a needle nose vise grip to crimp the line as best I could. Today I checked and the tank selector valve wasn't hooked up properly. The OO had it set so the second tank fed into the first tank and that is where the fuel got pumped from to the engine. When I get a chance I'll wire everything up properly, including routing the fuel lines. Mean time I just looped a line from the outlet to the return, so the tank is isolated for now.

The engine doesn't idle very well when cold. I'll have to change the o2 sensor as I suspect it has never been looked at. I'll also check the IAC valve to make sure it's not stuck.

Tomorrow I take it home and start loading all my clothing, food, and whatever else will fit. Well, after I clean all the mouse droppings .... As soon as I'm loaded I head out to a job. The job should last about a week which will be a good shake down.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:48 PM   #23
bf750

bf750 is on a distinguished road

nice
bf750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #24
alwaysFlOoReD
I want a belly rub...

I still haven't made more than a mile down the road. As soon as the engine warms up the fuel pressure drops when the throttle is opened. I replaced the fuel pump because I had put a used one in and thought it was bad. New one was a waste of $125.00 as the problem persists. Next is a fuel pressure regulator AFTER I test and make sure that's the problem. Hopefully have it fixed tonight.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:44 PM   #25
alwaysFlOoReD
I want a belly rub...

Not the fuel regulator.....
I'm going to disconnect the first and plumb in the second tank. Maybe there is something clogging the pickup.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #26
alwaysFlOoReD
I want a belly rub...

Turns out the "new" low pressure pump was not pushing enough volume. Now hooking up the selector valve correctly and i should be good to go.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #27
alwaysFlOoReD
I want a belly rub...

Great news, It runs ....woo-hoo!
It's running very good so far, got it up to 80Kph/50mph. No shakes, shimmies or odd noises. BUT there was a large oil puddle likely from the rear main seal. I did replace it but I had a hell of a time and it looks like I wrecked it putting it in. Oh well, seems to be par for the course for the last few months.
BUT it's RUNNING !!!!!
Now time to clean it up and pack my shit in.