Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Steering

Old 10-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #11
4x4junkie
Mall-Rated

Vehicle Year: 1990,1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Bronco II, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Crawling over things
4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
Lets see. I can be a crotchety MF'er and leave a large portion of my internetting non-functional, and pitch a fit every time their name comes up, or I can download a minor extension for my browser, not pay their $400, AND not have to spend months moving my more than 12000 linked photos and still be able to see them.

That was not a hard choice.
It's a matter of principle dude.
As I already said, clicking the link does not work either (if it did, the uproar over this would still be present, but likely would be far less great).

Lets get this thread back on track and allow the OP to respond to the alignment spec answers he's got, OK?

The library suggestion is good too, that is, if he has one that is still open near him... In a number of areas they have been closing up due to lack of funds.

'94 Ranger XLT
6" Skyjacker, ARB D44 front, Detroit 8.8" rear, Atlas 4.3, 33s
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

SPRING ONLINE MAGAZINE!

Check out the latest articles

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:17 AM   #12
Rustbucket350

Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
Rustbucket350 is on a distinguished road

The factory service manual specs will do just fine for this. I would like some specs for a lifted truck so I could do it myself but I'm sure if I can't find them I'll be alright. I would go to the library but I've been working 6 days a week and mostly at night so I'd need a 24 hour library.

The issue is that I paid for a lifetime alignment and it turns out they only have the toe specs. The camber was acceptable but the caster was left 4 degrees different from side to side. Oh and I was banned from the store after I had a discrepancy with my service.
Rustbucket350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #13
4x4junkie
Mall-Rated

Vehicle Year: 1990,1994
Vehicle Model: Bronco II, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Crawling over things
4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustbucket350 View Post

The issue is that I paid for a lifetime alignment and it turns out they only have the toe specs. The camber was acceptable but the caster was left 4 degrees different from side to side. Oh and I was banned from the store after I had a discrepancy with my service.
Ugh...

That I can pretty much guarantee you that is due to incompetence. I've seen it myself over & over & over & ov....

Alignment guy hasn't figured how to adjust the camber/caster bushings (or is plain lazy) to know that you more often than not have to swap them out with ones of a different degree to get the caster & camber alignment correct.
I suspect it partly comes from a lack of proper training, so it might not be completely entirely the tech's fault, however someone working in such a field should at least have some sense of reasoning and ability to figure things out, which it sounds like the guy you went to may not be too sharp in that department.

IMO, they should definitely at minimum refund you the money you paid if they cannot figure out how to do it.

Most suspension lift companies suggest using the factory alignment specs, so yeah you're probably fine there.

Edit:
If you're thinking of trying it yourself, this page should give you some guidance. The numbers themselves are not too real critical, mostly you're just trying to get both tires parallel with each other (toe) and perpendicular to the road (camber). Caster controls return-to-center, and whatever setting allows the truck to track straight down a level (not cambered) road is generally fine (caster doesn't affect tire wear).

http://www.therangerstation.com/Maga...ering_tech.htm

'94 Ranger XLT
6" Skyjacker, ARB D44 front, Detroit 8.8" rear, Atlas 4.3, 33s

Last edited by 4x4junkie; 10-10-2017 at 05:45 PM.
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:42 AM   #14
Rustbucket350

Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
Rustbucket350 is on a distinguished road

Yeah... I tried to explain to the manager that I understood this is not your run of the mill suspension and I was fine with not getting a proper alignment as long as I got a refund. He didn't want to hear any of that and insisted I reschedule (I waited 3 hours the first day and was turned away a week later for an appointment I scheduled). He didn't like what I had to say after that. I had every intention of filing small claims but it seems like it's not even worth the effort.

Anyway, I've since bought a Fastrax camber/caster gauage and made some toe plates. I havent had too much time to play with it but I have it pretty much dialed in. I just have to set the toe and see if I need these eccentric radius arm bushings I have for the caster or not based on how it drives.
Rustbucket350 is offline   Reply With Quote