Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'PlumCrazy'
October 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Ted R.'
October 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Engine & Transmission Forums > V6 Forums > 2.9 Liter Forum

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
shaggys2gen

Vehicle Year: 89/06
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger/F250
I use this vehicle for: Bustin Skulls
shaggys2gen is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help, it's my DD.

Well on my way to work 2 weeks ago and my truck acted like i lost one cylinder, a few minutes later it thought i dropped another cylinder. long story short I replaced the TPS, IAT sensor, TFI Module, Coil, Wires, Plugs, Cap & Button. checked as much wiring as i could under the hood, Cleaned the fuel tank out, Installed New filters (Both). I removed the distributor and replaced all the guts in it and reset time. Checked Fpr and still cannot get it to run right, it acts like i am only running on 3 cylinders because i can smell the fuel and the popping/air passing through the exhaust. If i remove the ground wire going from the intake to the body (The one bolted to the wiper motor) it will run good then bad off and on while im driving. please help im stumped, about broke now, and still have to drive it 40 miles one way to work every day.
shaggys2gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 03-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
Bondo

Vehicle Year: 86, 87, 88,99
Vehicle Model: B2, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: You name it
Bondo is on a distinguished road

Injectors?
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
jhammel85
On here ignoring work

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver / Off Road from time to time
jhammel85 has a spectacular aura aboutjhammel85 has a spectacular aura aboutjhammel85 has a spectacular aura about

I feel for you man...

Have you checked the compression of the engine yet? If you did, what numbers did you get back?

MY BUILD THREAD
jhammel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
holyford86

Vehicle Year: many
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD/ offroad beater
holyford86 will become famous soon enoughholyford86 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to holyford86 Send a message via Yahoo to holyford86 Send a message via Skype™ to holyford86

check the ground to the back of the passenger side head, if it's broke it can cause this
Old 03-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
shaggys2gen

Well, i checked the injectors right after i cleaned my tank. I cleaned them and remounted them in the fuel rail with the rail out and they appeared to be working fine. I did not do a compression check yet, Im actually a little afraid of the numbers i might read. But i dont think compression is an issue because like i said, I can removed that one ground wire and sometimes the truck will straighten out and run ok for a min. Im not sure which ground is supposed to be on the pass side head, the only one i see is the small orange one but it is mounted to the intake and it was mounted there before i started having problems. Do you think i should move it to the head to see if that could be part of the problem? One of the only sensors I have not changed was the Coolant temp sensor (2 Wire to the ecm) Could a bad one be my problem??
Old 03-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
ronclark
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger Super
I use this vehicle for: Weekend driving
ronclark has a spectacular aura aboutronclark has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to ronclark Send a message via Yahoo to ronclark

I would pull the codes and see what you get.
That can give some real clues whats going wrong
Old 03-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
kimcrwbr1

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD tow boat
kimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to all

Did you post here before you started changing all those parts. If you can get your hands on a compression tester and a code reader and even a vacuum guage would have been a good start. You can keep throwing parts at it but a good diagnostic is allways the first step. With low compression It dont matter what you do it will never run right. You need to comfirm the health of the engine compression/vacuum before you spend any money on parts that are probably good.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
shaggys2gen

Well ill dig out the Compression tester, I just dont understand how compression can be my issue when i am able to remove a ground wire and it will straiten out (Mostly). But of course when I remove the ground my lights dont shine well and my temp, oil press reading doesnt read right.
I work 7 days a week and I only have about 2 hours every morning to work on it, so troubleshooting it is a slow process.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
kimcrwbr1

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD tow boat
kimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to all

I read it again and did you check all the wiring for burnt or shorted wires especially the O-2 sensor wires anything around the exhaust system. I bet when you were messing with the ground wire and the engine would run good the short is somewhere around there. GL
Old 03-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #10
shaggys2gen

I dont have any O2 sensors, the Previous owner cut the exhaust right past the manifolds and ran duals into a y with no cats. what does the O2 sensor plug look like?? round 4 wire plug??