• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why would oil be in my intake pipes/air filter?

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a LOT of miles on my 95 2.3 Ranger and was wondering what would cause a lot of oil to be in my air filter area. The PCV valve is good, but the engine does have a lot of miles on it. I'm doing service on the air filter now because it's been a WHILE since I've done it.

Could that be it? Any suggestions or experience would be greatly appreciated here guys. Please pass on the almighty knowledge. Thank you.

Allen

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like you are getting excessive blow-by from warn rings and/or cylinder walls.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, you may be right. I do have muuuuucho miles on this thing, like 300,000 or more. Looks like it's time for a new one......lol

Allen

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Your oil might also be condensation from the PCV system. Every time I remove my upper intake manifold to change my spark plugs I notice that it's quite brown and oily in there. Even my supercharger rotors have a thin, brownish coating.

Now, I woudn't describe my situation as a LOT of oil, as you do, but I think a certain amount of this is normal.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, thanks for the info guys. I really think the motor is starting to show signs of excessive mileage. There is slight blowby, but nothing major. The truck still runs fairly strong and idles great but it's starting to show it's age now. There is a slight tapping at idle, but it goes away after anything above idle.

I just changed out my steering column yesterday and saw a killer engine/tranny deal on a motor with just slightly under 100,000 on it. The motor was pulled from a rollover Ranger. If they still have it in a month or so I should be able to buy it. Thanks.

Allen

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals