• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wheel area rattle vibration when braking to a stop plus turning at low speed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
hopefully I can please post this camry question for my father since I'm already a member here.
2004 toyota camry ~110K miles.
recent new tires, brake pads and rotors are in good shape.

when turning sharp left at low speed plus hitting the brake (like when turning into the driveway to park) while it's still moving and not at a full stop, it sometimes make a rattle. It's more than just a chatter of a rotor dust shield possibly hitting something, it's like a grinding/vibrating/rattle. It's hard to get it to happen. I was able to get it to prolong the sound by driving slow in a donut and hitting the brake, it seemed to almost make an electrical hum also when doing that. The brake pedal doesn't pulsate so I don't think it's an ABS malfunction.

Removed the tire but I don't see anything loose, cracked or missing. The caliper doesn't have any unwanted movement. I'm thinking it's something in a boot area or CV joint or something.

Local mechanic is pretty good and I can probably have him drive it around a bit to try and make the sound but it's very rare that it might be a waste of time but if he can confirm what the problem is I can likely fix it using a youtube tutorial.
Any suggestions? thanks.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'd start by checking the lugs all around with a good 4 way tire tool

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Missing an anti-rattle clip?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
disable ABS by unplugging a wheel sensor and try it.
hey, at least it's a free test.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
Missing an anti-rattle clip?
This is what I was thinking. There's a little clip that sits a cross th pads. But I don't think it would rattle if your applying brake.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Usually anti rattle clip issues go away when the brakes are on. Atleast from what ive noriced.

You dont get any humming or anything at speed? My first thought was a wheel bearing.

Also wondering if maybe a possible CV issue? Not sure why braking would have an affect on that but anything is possibleu

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah, anti-rattle clip doesn't make sense now I think on it.
Perhaps diff clutches? I have a truck that does similar from the rear, I think because someone didn't put in the additive for "posi".

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Some have suggested possibly it's missing the brake pad anti rattle clips, I took the wheel off the other day and noticed the outer one is there and there's no play in the pads or caliper when pried with a large flat screwdriver, I couldn't really see the inner pad but I replaced these and the anti rattle clips last year and highly doubt I skipped one but I can check again. Someone said it'd be the opposite though that if one were missing it'd not rattle while using the brake, but I'm not ruling it out until I check again.

BTW, it's the front driver side wheel area mostly making the noise but I was able to prolong the sound but driving in like donuts slowly hitting the brake but not braked all the way and was able to make the sound happen for like 5 seconds is when it almost sounded like it turned into a hum and that the noise was then coming from more of the center front of the car also and not just the driver's side front wheel.

Someone suggested check all the lug nuts, I reinstalled them good when I recently took the tire off. if it happens to go away because of that then that'd be good, the tires were replaced recently by Costco and likely they use an impact gun and maybe under/over tightened one or two. Another place that used an impact gun broke a stud once and didn't mention it, I replaced it.

Someone suggested differential clutches , CV joint,

I might just have the local mechanic do an oil change and while it's up on the lift see if he can see anything and pay him for just a diagnosis, and to maybe drive it around to try and make the sound happen because I don't think it's something visible, none of the black rubber boots or anything seem damaged and there's no unwanted wiggle in the wheel when it's jacked up and try to shake it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You dont get any humming or anything at speed? My first thought was a wheel bearing.
it's only when braking going slow and turning left, it's hard to make it happen I drove it in circles etc for like an hour and could only make it happen a few times, driving into the driveway to park made it happen easier than anything else is when he noticed it too.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That's a classic symptom of an outer CV.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals