• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vapor purge valve solenoid

take a chance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey guys my 04 edge with 3.0 has been acting like it is going to die when taking off, giving me p0171, and getting stuck in high rpm when I was coming to a stop until I bumped the throttle a few times. My purge valve was bad and I changed it. Also put new gas cap and new fuel pump and inlet fuel line on the truck. (This was due to picking up a strap off the freeway that proceeded to wrap up on my drives shaft, shatter my back window and take out the fuel pump and line)
Anyway I'm still having issues and when I pulled the purge valve to check it the new one (approx 2-3 days old) is full of carbon pieces again! Is there a way to repack the carbon canister with new carbon? Also how do I evacuate the line with the carbon in it? I don't have the $250 for a new canister after the other repairs.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, no fix for the busted charcoal canister but you could try in line filter on the hose coming from canister

P0171 System too Lean Bank 1(passenger side)
This would be unrelated to EVAP system issue above

Having a lean(or rich) code on one bank(side) of a V6 engine means its something specific to that bank of the engine
So not a MAF sensor issue or upper intake vacuum leak, or fuel pressure, as these would effect BOTH banks of the engine

O2 sensor data is responsible for lean or rich codes
O2s last 12 years or 100k miles and they start to die, ONLY sensors that wear out
So I would swap the 2 upstream O2 sensors, its free
Must also change plug-ins, lol

Clear old codes
Then drive, if you now get
P0174 System too Lean Bank 2

Then its an O2 sensor issue

If still P0171 then there a an issue specific to bank 1
You want to do the O2 swap first or you can be chasing your tail try to fix something that's not broken

You know that all engines must stay at a higher RPM until speedometer is under 5MPH, its an emissions requirement
If tapping gas pedal helps then check for broken or loose throttle plate or spring

take a chance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thank you for the suggestion I will swap the o2's tonight and try that. Thr rpm was getting stuck at 2800 to 3300. As I came to a stop and applied my clutch it would just start climbing out of nowhere. It is getting to be over 100° now so a negative effect on performance is expected. I will update on the results of o2 swap.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check/clean IAC Valve, computer use it to control idle RPMs when throttle is closed

take a chance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just an update, I cleaned the iac and it did need a new o2 sensor. No codes as of yet but evap still needs to go. Found out that the Vapor canister on my truck is actually supposed to be on a 4.0 not 3.0. Don't understand that bit have a new one on the way. Will it cause any issues if I was to remove the Vapor canister and run the truck temporarily until the new one arrives? Also still having an issue of the truck hesitating on acceleration when I put gas in it. Not sure what is causing that.

take a chance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Check/clean IAC Valve, computer use it to control idle RPMs when throttle is closed
I tried to clean the IAC Valve and it did not help I am going to try to replace it. I was wondering if I should do my TPS at the same time? The hesitation is getting pretty bad. I have to feather the clutch and Rev up the motor to take off from a stand still.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals