• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

throttle response

ernie c.

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger 4x4
Transmission
Manual
i have a 1994 ranger 4x4 pickup with the 4.0l engine. it was running great until driving home and it seemed like I lost power momentarily, then the check engine light came on and then went off. when I got it home it started running terrible . idles really rough and no throttle response. i checked the tps and it is within the correct specs, replaced the crank position sensor, checked and replaced the maf sensor which seems to help the idle issue somewhat. fuel pressure is at around 38 psi. any suggestion would help on where to go next.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Get any codes?

rhekman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
i have a 1994 ranger 4x4 pickup with the 4.0l engine. it was running great until driving home and it seemed like I lost power momentarily, then the check engine light came on and then went off. when I got it home it started running terrible . idles really rough and no throttle response. i checked the tps and it is within the correct specs, replaced the crank position sensor, checked and replaced the maf sensor which seems to help the idle issue somewhat. fuel pressure is at around 38 psi. any suggestion would help on where to go next.
I had this happen on my '95 recently from running out of gas on a side hill and damaged (though didn't kill) the fuel pump. When I replaced the pump, I also replaced the fuel pressure regulator, and found a vacuum leak downstream of the EGR valve. It ran like crap when I put it back together before I realized the intake tube connection to the MAF housing was loose.

If your issue happened suddenly, I'd look for things that are physically broken - melted or broken vacuum lines, cracked intake piping, EGR leaks (if your truck has EGR), failed IAC, stuck EVAP solenoid, broken or melted O2 sensor wiring, etc.

If nothing is obvious, then usual diagnostics apply -
1. Check for codes https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml
2. Do symptoms change cold vs. warm. Any changes immediately after startup (open loop vs. closed)?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals