• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

This Old XLT

FL-400S

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. -Arthur C. Clarke
I recently bought a 2001 Ranger XLT. It came with a few problems I'm addressing. The previous owner wanted to remove the cover for the steering column and tried to gently pry off the plastic portion the key is inserted into. He broke it and that made it have intermittent starting. I ordered a new lock with key matching from a supplied photograph of the key, so I didn't need to fool around with programming the PATS. The buttons were torn off of the speed control switches, so I got another set on Amazon and installed that. Next will be the fixes for the rear door latch cables, and a replacement for the radio, that the previous owner had removed and let me have. It turned out to be bricked, so I found a replacement aftermarket unit on sale at Walmart and got the install kit and harness adapter. This will be the 4th type of Ford V6 vehicle I've had since 1988. I hope it does as well as the others have.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Awesome FL, good luck with it! :)

FL-400S

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. -Arthur C. Clarke
Thanks. I was wondering if these trucks have a relatively noisy drivetrain with an automatic? This truck seems to be a bit louder than the Bronco II I used to own and my current Explorer.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Thanks. I was wondering if these trucks have a relatively noisy drivetrain with an automatic? This truck seems to be a bit louder than the Bronco II I used to own and my current Explorer.
Does it sound like wind noise under the hood? You may want to check your clutch fan. They can make some noise and also rob your power.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
And kill your mileage.

Welcome to TRS...

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
And if it has the 4.0 sohc, they are known to have timing chain issues, which can cause a noise. You will want to change the hydraulic tensioners asap.

FL-400S

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The noise is more a whine, like a manual transmission that's a bit low on lube. I've had fan couplers to fail before and this doesn't sound like that. It has the 3.0 engine. It's at the transmission shop now and they've had it for 3 days now and it's sounding like they aren't finding anything. On the other hand, My explorer was making noise that the techs couldn't locate and it got worse and worse. I finally isolated that to the differential. But on this truck, I was just wondering whether enough noise to be audible to the degree that the radio would have to cover it while driving, was normal.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The camshaft synchronizer on a 3.0L is known to make some noise. Then can seize due to lack of lube.

FL-400S

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The previous owner had replaced the synchronizer. The whine is like gears meshing or a worn bearing. it also will sometimes clunk as I draw to a stop after driving. That is like when a transmission unlocks from overdrive.

FL-400S

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
This truck has the optional inoperative back door latching system. I ordered a set of 4 ends for the cable shields to replace the deteriorated plastic ends. I spent most of yesterday afternoon replacing the broken parts. the cable shields were heavily deformed at the door handle ends and neither latch would work properly after getting everything together. The shields at the handle end looked like someone had heated up the cable and melted the plastic within the braided metal outer shield. It is looking like I will have to replace the entire cable/shield and end. I see none available on the market. Has anyone tried using a bicycle hand brake cable making kit for use with these door latches? Only the top latch is working right now and I need to find a solution.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Can cable clamps be used in it?

FL-400S

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The cables have an exterior of a polyethylene jacket with a braided metal inner jacket. Those have an inner polyethylene tube that should be bonded to the shield. On mine that inner tube is loose from the shield and looks like it is melted and pulled out of one end. The stranded metal cable that actually works the latches should slide in the inner tube, but the inner tube tries to move with the cable. Both the cables will not move enough to allow the latches to close correctly, and won't allow the only cable that operates a latch to do so when the entire cable is pulled out of the cable end.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I used some old pool reinforcement cables like that recently. I got them when they were moving into the new store we had built them, and they were throwing lots of out dated stuff away

I can't even find enough of that stuff to take a picture of now

Last edited:

FL-400S

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
These cables are pretty much like bicycle shifter and brake cables. If I could find a universal cable kit that had ends that would fit the handle and latch actuators I'd try making a set of cables up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals