• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The morning news... and the end of an era

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
@Rick W I totally appreciate the advice.

Full disclosure... I sold the pizzeria on a seller finance agreement. We got everything we wanted less a 12 month pay off. We settled on 24 months. I should also say that the buyer employs my wife (he pays her very well) and myself part time (he pays me pretty good too) and she runs his entire operation of 20 stores. If he fails to make good on the agreement... we just take it back and start selling pizza again. He also is doing about 30K worth of improvements to the store that he can't take back... he also increased her expense monies by several hundred dollars a month to offset our health insurance costs.

To add an additional twist to this... a little over a year ago she entered into a five year deal with the new owner. He wanted to grow but corporate wouldn't allow him without her. She has 20+years with corporate and our success in our own store and without her on his team he was at a dead end. So... we had always planned on maintaining a small apartment here for the foreseeable future and a place to call home in Michigan.

So selling the house on a seller finance isn't really an option. I need the capitol to roll into the new homestead and we still have a mortgage but with about 60% equity.

I was really thinking I had a year to 18 months to get it all together... but if this house can sell in months for the price we discussed with the neighbor... I needed to start this process yesterday.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Just some thoughts.....

If you aren't going to for sure get all the money for 24 months (or any amount of time), and plan B would be to make pizza again if all that falls through..... then maybe moving out of state isn't something you should rush into. An apartment is an expense, not an asset.... one thought would be to live where you are, take the money you would have put into an apartment, and sock it away for the move, or even buy something small in Michigan if you can get the monthly cost about the same on a mortgage / note, as rent would be, till you can totally bail on Illinois.

Understand your desire to move somewhere else right away.... but.... lots of loose ends hanging that might have to be tied up later, in unforeseen ways.

Knowns are things like how much tax you'd pay on what, in each jurisdiction (might need a CPA to figure out various scenarios).
Unknowns are what the real estate market will be like more than a short time down the road. Real estate is stupid crazy here, but no idea where you are.

I think I'd personally want to have at least some fair amount of the loan on the pizza place paid off, before heading out of state. Commuting, and living in two households for a while, gets old. Did it for about 6 months for a job once and have had my fill of that. Worth it at the time though.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
🤔 Hmmm, Maybe you could save expenses by sliding a camper in the back of the Ranger.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I seriously doubt the getting out of Illinois part gets any better from right now... real estate is kinda crazy everywhere.

🤔 Hmmm, Maybe you could save expenses by sliding a camper in the back of the Ranger.
I already sold the Skamper to @85_Ranger4x4 ... lol

It's going to be OK... it just all hit me at once this week.

We even own two acres in Roscommon with a well and septic... Having an 800 sqft cabin dropped off there is a strong possibility. It's near Higgins and Houghton lakes... thousands of acres of state land... blue ribbon trout streams... ORV/snomobile trails everywhere and lots of Golf. Makes it a pretty good spot for a vacation rental. That is after we live in it for a year or so.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
thought about a rv? weather is getting better, you could easily live out of one while you look for a permanent place, or just do the state park thing awhile, hit the southern states in the winter and enjoy the northern border in the summer.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
thought about a rv? weather is getting better, you could easily live out of one while you look for a permanent place, or just do the state park thing awhile, hit the southern states in the winter and enjoy the northern border in the summer.
An RV is part of the overall plan... but it was really a few years out for that.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
And the wife might object to you taking off in an RV, when she's still working ;)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals