• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

swap out 3.0L, swap in 4.0L questions.

Paul Coviello

Reaction score
I'm for some reason itchy to get a Ranger, lower it, use low budget methods to get some more power the carve twists and burn rubber !!! TRS has led me to see that the easiest way gain power over a 3.0L is to put in a 4.0L. Great advice ! Before I buy a Ranger I am attempting to find some things out. From reading other tech info and forums and searching car sales online, it seems unlikely I will find a Standard cab, 2wd, manual tranny with a 4.0L. It seems only the super cab or extended cab have the 4.0L motors.
Assuming 1998-2004, manual tranny, 2wd standard cab Ranger. If you swap in a 4.0L in place of a 3.0L can you use the 3.0L wire harness or do you need the whole 4.0L harness a donor??? In the tech forums I couldn't find this answer. I know you would need the v6 harness if you swapped a v6 in place of a 4 cylinder, right.

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
98-00 4.0 has 160hp
01-11 4.0 has 205hp

Because of the PATS (anti theft) change in 04 and up you'll want to stay 03 and older if you plan on doing an engine swap.

You'll also need to swap transmissions if you change engine sizes.

The engine wire harness and computer are engine specific.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

i suggest this...

Paul Coviello

Reaction score
Hi Supercab, Got it about the PATS. Read in the tech section that it was an issue and you just steered me clear of it !
Hi BobbyWalter, Its a good thing the motor picture doesn't show a location, it's so pretty I would have come by and pilfered it overnight. It looks kinda wide and long to stuff into a Ranger. I'll recheck the 5.0 info. A5.0L really wasn't on my radar, but it makes sense to increase the power with one engine vs modifying a 4.0. I may have to pick your brain at some point.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Do some research first. In NH, a 1996 or newer has to pass OBD II inspection and the Gordon Darby unit compares the VIN on the registration to the one in the PCM. No match means no pass and I can't imagine your emissions requiremnts are less strict than ours.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Do some research first. In NH, a 1996 or newer has to pass OBD II inspection and the Gordon Darby unit compares the VIN on the registration to the one in the PCM. No match means no pass and I can't imagine your emissions requiremnts are less strict than ours.

do a custom title.....

reconstructed vehicle/homemade trailer.....all custom suspension...engine trans and axles ect....shop around till you find an actual american state trooper to inspect it....

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
do a custom title.....

reconstructed vehicle/homemade trailer.....all custom suspension...engine trans and axles ect....shop around till you find an actual american state trooper to inspect it....

My state inspector license is still in my wallet. Just an engine swap wouldn't qualify, good idea, though.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
My state inspector license is still in my wallet. Just an engine swap wouldn't qualify, good idea, though.
it does qualify.....when ya swap in every drive component it certainly does....you are constructing a custom home made vehicle.....a vehicle for your personal conveyance.. not for sales.

if i lived in your state my truck would be titled....well it already is. but i would build what i want. and i would drive it with its custom vin. this in the past has required clipping all of the doors so oem doors would not bolt on to carry that point....but if thats what it takes.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
1999 and older don't require a title anymore and the OBD inspection requirement only goes back 20 years now, so that should be easier. The inspections aren't done by state troopers so you can't shop around. Any vehicle under 20 years old- meaning requiring OBD inspection- would be tough to get a reconstructed title and would still require OBD inspection once registered. Reconstructed titles are primarily for rebuilt wrecks or stolen vehicles that were totalled by insurance companies.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
1999 and older don't require a title anymore and the OBD inspection requirement only goes back 20 years now, so that should be easier. The inspections aren't done by state troopers so you can't shop around. Any vehicle under 20 years old- meaning requiring OBD inspection- would be tough to get a reconstructed title and would still require OBD inspection once registered. Reconstructed titles are primarily for rebuilt wrecks or stolen vehicles that were totalled by insurance companies.
yes. for sure.

composite vehicle....ect ect ect... there is more then one thing. and you can build a brand new composite vehicle.

of all mottos.... live free or die.... is one to push for.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo

yes. for sure.

composite vehicle....ect ect ect... there is more then one thing. and you can build a brand new composite vehicle.

of all mottos.... live free or die.... is one to push for.
We didn't start emissions testing voluntarily, we were threatened with the loss of federal highway money that we need desperately. In about 2000 I heard that the state spent $190,000 and hour on snow removal and treating roads. Road salt eats concrete and steel in bridges and winter frost heaves tear up the road surface.
General John Stark said "Live free or die for there are far worse fates than death" or something close after the battle of Bennington, Vt.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals