• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swap 2.3 5 speed into 2.0 4 speed chassis

BlaineM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 83 ranger xls with 2.0 L4 and 4 speed manual trans. The motor is running on 3. Looks like a blown valve.

I know where I can get a 2.3 L4 and 5 speed manual trans out of a 94 Mazda B2300.

Is this a straight forward drop-in considering the obvious things like going from carburated to fuel injected and simple electrics to ecu electronics? I am also wondering about engine and tranny mounts and/or drive shaft length.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The motor mounts are identical, The trans crossmember needs to be moved, and the driveshaft is a different length. The shifter is in a slightly different location and the boot is different.
The 2.3 will bolt to the 2.0 trans. The engine blocks of the 2 engines are externally identical. There are parts out there to make the 2.3 carburated as well but, not with that cylinder head.
Does that help?

BlaineM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for that fast reply. Guess it would be much easier to redo the 2.0 or find an older 2.3 to drop in.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 2.3 in the Mutant pony has a 2.0 Ranger head on it. The ignition from the 2.0 will also fit the 2.3. You would just need your head redone. You would gain a bunch of H.P. and TQ.

BlaineM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
"The 2.3 in the Mutant pony has a 2.0 Ranger head on it. The ignition from the 2.0 will also fit the 2.3. You would just need your head redone. You would gain a bunch of H.P. and TQ"

Are you saying I should drop a 2.3 into in then swap on the rebuilt 2.0 head for more hp and tq?

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Easiest option is to just find a '75-'84 (pre-EFI) 2.3 and drop it in.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is an option. Dave's suggestion is a good one. You could also use the early efi ('85-'87)You just need a carburated intake for it. The 2.3 would be much better than the 2.0 and will bolt right in.
The '88 up block is a better block. What I was trying to say is that if you take the newer 2.3 and bolt on the 2.0 head and all it's components you would gain h.p. and tq over the 2.0. Use the cam and followers out of the newer 2.3 though (roller).
The 2.0 carb is a real pita though. If you get an older 2.3 you can ugrade to the Holley 5200. With some real easy bolt ons you can upgrade to the Holley 2300 or 2305. With a little difficultly the '85-'87 EFI intake can be converted to a 4bbl intake and you can bolt on a 390 cfm 4 bbl.
That should be enough options to keep you thinking for a while!

Last edited:

BlaineM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks! Those are some good options. I think the simplest solution at this time would be to rebuild the head on the 2.0. I'm assuming I can remove the head without pulling the engine. Or is reviving this engine a waste of time and money? I have a friend that can do the guides and/or seats so the cost would be for parts.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
I'm assuming I can remove the head without pulling the engine.
You can.

Or is reviving this engine a waste of time and money? I have a friend that can do the guides and/or seats so the cost would be for parts.
Since your friend can do the labor, you'd only be out $100 or so for parts. I suppose it'd be best to get this engine running OK and drive the truck until you can find/build a better motor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals