• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SOLVED: 1988 Super Cab BW1350 manual shift/manual hubs, Extreme vibrations when hubs are locked in...

GingerKing13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 Super Cab
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches
Tire Size
31x10.5xR15
1988 Super Cab FM146 BW1350 manual shift/manual hubs, Extreme vibrations when hubs are locked in 2WD and 4WD... It feels Fine when hubs are not locked in 2WD!

This started during a day of wheeling at the end of the day. Suddenly I had a very noticeable vibration from the t-case shifter and the gear shifter, enough that it shakes the truck... I have done under it and everything looks intact but there is some 'slop' or play on the T-case end of the front drive shaft. The fluid is fresh and full (changed about 8,000 miles ago). I have never replaced the U-joints and I have had the truck for 6 years. Could this just be a U-joint that's bound up?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
So when you say with hubs not locked in, did you have the transfer case in 4wd but hubs unlocked?

GingerKing13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 Super Cab
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches
Tire Size
31x10.5xR15
So when you say with hubs not locked in, did you have the transfer case in 4wd but hubs unlocked?
Hubs not locked in 2WD there is not vibration or noise and drives great. Hubs locked and in 2WD or 4WD hard vibration and speed up with increasing vehicle speed.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I understand now.
It does sound like a sticky u-joint. Any chance you have greaseable ones? If so that's be first thing I would try.
Kinda odd for one to suddenly stick though unless something was extended/compressed beyond it's usual travel...

GingerKing13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 Super Cab
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches
Tire Size
31x10.5xR15
I understand now.
It does sound like a sticky u-joint. Any chance you have greaseable ones? If so that's be first thing I would try.
Kinda odd for one to suddenly stick though unless something was extended/compressed beyond it's usual travel...
They are non-greasble but Havent been replaced in 6 years. It started doing it shortly after a pretty gnarly rutted trail I was not expecting and have never flexed it that hard.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals