• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rock Auto

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have used RA for many years and swore by them. That is until I bought catalytic converters from them and now I swear at them. I bought a complete bolt on system for all my cats. The two new main cats failed because the hanger broke out leaving a big hole in the pipe. RA was not too bad about that but I had to buy a new one and then send the broken one back so they could determine if it was covered under warranty. I did get reimbursed but I had to pay for shipping it back to them. The next one broke the same way and they initially said they would not replace it because it would probably break again. I had some serious discussions about it and they decided to replace it, but they were out of stock and would just reimburse the money. The problem was the cost had gone up almost double since I initially bought it. I told them I would wait until they got another one in. It took about 3 months to get it but they did finally come through.

A few months later I ordered parts from them to rebuild the power steering system. The parts arrived from different warehouses as usual. Everything was fine until I found one hose was too short. It had the right part number and was an OEM part. It was just a manufacturing defect. I was able to return it but they ended up charging me for the return shipping. I contacted them to find out why I should pay for the return shipping. I was told I had too many returns and if they would not stay in business very long if they paid for all the returns for people like me. It fell in there own rules for me not having to pay for return shipping and the only returns I had was under the cats warranty and I had spent thousands of dollars there over the years. I told them I would let my credit card co. decide if I should pay or not. I filed a dispute and won.

I haven't order anything from RA since, but may in the future if it is financially beneficial to me.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have used RA for many years and swore by them. That is until I bought catalytic converters from them and now I swear at them. I bought a complete bolt on system for all my cats. The two new main cats failed because the hanger broke out leaving a big hole in the pipe. RA was not too bad about that but I had to buy a new one and then send the broken one back so they could determine if it was covered under warranty. I did get reimbursed but I had to pay for shipping it back to them. The next one broke the same way and they initially said they would not replace it because it would probably break again. I had some serious discussions about it and they decided to replace it, but they were out of stock and would just reimburse the money. The problem was the cost had gone up almost double since I initially bought it. I told them I would wait until they got another one in. It took about 3 months to get it but they did finally come through.

Had the same issue with the cats. Engine spun a bearing before I could replace the cat and send the old one back. So now I have two spare cats for a 2001 Monte Carlo SS if anyone needs one...

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I’m done with them. A bad steering rack two years ago, with core return paid $80 in shipping costs.
Two months ago bought a PS lower control arm, listed as ‘right lower’, picture was accurate for what I needed. This morning tore it down, hauled out the new control arm, and it was a DS arm. They list left or right in the description, which is usually from the drivers seat, but in checking the pictures against the side descriptions, some don’t add up as the side they list them.

Ordered 59 days ago so not returnable.

I’ll put the DS one on eventually but ordered the PS arm through AMZ, free shipping (with Prime) and hassle free returns.

-Jazzer

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've never had a problem with their parts, but I also avoid parts made in China. I literally search for the country of origin before I order parts. I'll order parts made anywhere but China.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
I have only had one part issue. I ordered a replacement front that the radiator, bumper, lights, intercooler bolted to my son's 04 mini Cooper s. It came in the back of an 18 wheeler by itself and was broken. I called and sent pics and they sent a new one. I didn't have to return it so I wasn't out anything. They handled everything great.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I looked at my order history, and over 50% of the parts I bought were defective, not
immediately, but after the warranty expired. I did not buy by price, always name brands. Two ball joints and two tie rod ends had neoprene dust boots that rotted within two years, one ball joint also had a very weak spring. One bad (reman) rack and pinion.

I don’t know how you’d tell china parts, it’s not like they tell you COO.

I suspect some counterfeit parts are making their way into the supply chain.

The blue neoprene dust boots seem to be of superior quality.

-Jazzer

K Thompson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The only problem I have encountered is with a part I wanted to return. They wanted the box the part came in, and I had trashed it. I don't really blame them for this and still give them all the business I cam. Now I have a box of boxes though!! LOL.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
man, neoprene boots on tre? that just sounds weird. i guess since neoprene and wetsuits are what i think of since i grew up surfing and scuba diving

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
over 50% of the parts I bought were defective
That's interesting, I would rate my parts failures from RA at about 10% maybe... at most. AutoZone and NAPA are probably the lowest, CarQuest is fairly high and O'Reilly probably has the worst failure rate in my experience. Guessing 25% or higher. Really despise that place.

I would feel fairly confident in saying that there are not 20 different companies that make Ranger tie rod ends (for example.) There are probably only a couple and they just put stuff in a NAPA box or a Mevotech box or whatever... I am buying the cheapest parts fairly often unless it's a critical thing.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I’m glad you guys have better luck, and I’m sorry to seem so negative. I’m just pissed at doing repairs over and over.

On a brighter note, I got my LCA from AMZ today and it’ll go in tomorrow.

-Jazzer

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
heres a current code good until 12/25/22 if anyone needs/wants it. Just placed a order myself.
B87B94FD-58A4-42A1-BCEA-8ADCB77094E5.jpeg

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I usually buy the "wholesaler closeout" stuff. Otherwise once you toss in shipping its just as much as the autovalue 1/8 mi from my house.

I havent had any bad parts from them though.

My general rule is if its something that might leave me stranded with little or no warning if it goes out i buy it from Napa/Autovalue. If its something that will give me a decent amount of warning before it quits ill buy from AdvancedOreileyZone or rock auto and if its something that if it fails its not a huge deal ill buy from crapazon/Fleabay

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals