• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Glass bent from driver seat

RangertoWork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The rear glass on our company ranger is bent out on one side. My assumption is that someone reclined driver seat, and then pushed back seat hard against the window. breaking the seal and causing it to leak. I'm don't think it's going to push back into place at this point. I think the glass will need to be replaced. It's like i need another bolt at the corner to pull the frame back into shape.

I find plenty of articles on how to replace the seal, but as you can see in the picture, i don't think Butle tape will help if the frame isn't tight to the body.

Is this scenario similar to anyone else's experience? Or am I the first person in Ranger history to have this problem?

Ranger Window bent.jpg

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
If that window is bolted in, it should've broken before being pushed out like that.

Ya sure it's not just a big rubber seal? If so the butyl tape isn't even part of the design.

If it a single piece seal, it should be possible to use a hook set to pull the seal back into place form the inside. May have to removes some trim to get there.

MISWFL

Reaction score
What's the seal look like on the inside? Tempered glass can flex a bit more than laminated glass before it breaks. If the seal is out of place on the inside, use dish soap as lube and a dull flat blade screwdriver to lift the misplaced seal lip as a helper uses the palm of their hand to tap the window back into place.

I'm assuming it's not a glued in window.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A friend of mine in the 60s, 70s 80s 90s, did show cars and museum pieces. He'd use a piano wire putting them on and taking them off.
He also had a lot of stories of how they could get screwed real fast if someone helping didn't do just exactly as they'd been told. I heard plenty of those but none really of how he did it :/

RangertoWork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry for the late response. Haven't been to the forum for some time, and about to post a different question about TSS to PCM wiring harness pin-out.

But, I'm not a monster and figured I'd updated the forum.

As I suspected the window was pulled out of the plastic frame. In the plastic frame is are T-Bolts, and when one of the T-bolts was pulled out it essentially jammed the frame going back into place. This kept the gap open and the rain came coming in.

I pulled the interior panels, pulled the nuts off the T-bolts and pulled the glass out. While the plastic glass housing was deformed, it wasn't so bad that i thought i couldn't re-use it. Picked up 15' of butle tape from Napa and replaced the existing tape. Since this was winter in San Francisco, i put a heater in the cab, and a packing blanket over the rear window and let it get warm inside. Then put the glass back in place, tightened up the bolts and put it all together.

Done.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the update.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Sorry for the late response. Haven't been to the forum for some time, and about to post a different question about TSS to PCM wiring harness pin-out.

But, I'm not a monster and figured I'd updated the forum.

As I suspected the window was pulled out of the plastic frame. In the plastic frame is are T-Bolts, and when one of the T-bolts was pulled out it essentially jammed the frame going back into place. This kept the gap open and the rain came coming in.

I pulled the interior panels, pulled the nuts off the T-bolts and pulled the glass out. While the plastic glass housing was deformed, it wasn't so bad that i thought i couldn't re-use it. Picked up 15' of butle tape from Napa and replaced the existing tape. Since this was winter in San Francisco, i put a heater in the cab, and a packing blanket over the rear window and let it get warm inside. Then put the glass back in place, tightened up the bolts and put it all together.

Done.
Nice job.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals