• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear drums are sticking

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Please don't remove the parking brake, if people ever saw the park pawl in an automatic transmission they would never park on a hill without setting the brake. And if the hydraulic brakes should fail, having minimally effective mechanical brakes on only the rear wheels is way better than no brakes at all. And yes, I've seen full hydraulic brake failuers, usually after a "tech" at Jiffy Lube topped up the master cylinder with power steering fluid.
I’ve also seen a parking pawl fail on my neighbor’s truck. Thankfully, the only thing that got hit was a tree in someone’s front yard. I don’t think the neighbor learned from it though. I don’t recall ever hearing him set the brake.

KornTruck2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Please don't remove the parking brake, if people ever saw the park pawl in an automatic transmission they would never park on a hill without setting the brake. And if the hydraulic brakes should fail, having minimally effective mechanical brakes on only the rear wheels is way better than no brakes at all. And yes, I've seen full hydraulic brake failuers, usually after a "tech" at Jiffy Lube topped up the master cylinder with power steering fluid.
I am not lobbying to not use it. If it is true that its the parking brake cable, or “parking brake system”, it would be nice to validate that. If i take that out and my problem goes away, i can get replacement cables, mine is tore up anyway

KornTruck2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It totally was the parking brake cable. My truck has 247k on it, when the trans lets go, i am manual swapping it. I will fix the ebrake, swear on things important to me. Thank you guys for the help, much appreciated!!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Once you're sure the parking brake is fully released I'd look at the brake adjusters. I've never seen a setup like that on a Ford, did the old parts look the same?
I just did complete brakes on my 8.8 with 10 inch brakes... same set up. The 9 inch look a little different.

@KornTruck2 glad you got it figured out.

Be safe out there...

KornTruck2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I just did complete brakes on my 8.8 with 10 inch brakes... same set up. The 9 inch look a little different.

@KornTruck2 glad you got it figured out.

Be safe out there...
I got plans for this truck

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It totally was the parking brake cable. My truck has 247k on it, when the trans lets go, i am manual swapping it. I will fix the ebrake, swear on things important to me. Thank you guys for the help, much appreciated!!
If you are going to do a manual transmission swap, you definitely want to make sure the parking/emergency brake works. You do not want to depend on engine compression to hold a vehicle in place.

KornTruck2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you are going to do a manual transmission swap, you definitely want to make sure the parking/emergency brake works. You do not want to depend on engine compression to hold a vehicle in place.
Cable is already ordered, amazon had it for $35. All about a good functioning vehicle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals