• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Exhaust Question?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I meant if you are running it with a open manifold when it is 10 degrees out you might warp a valve. If you have just about anything for an exhaust it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

mudcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought my muffler at MBRP and love the sound. Its nice and rumbley, and has a bit of a bark at around 3000 rpm. Love it and it doesn't sound ricey at all cause i can't stand those things.

sonicboom919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 FFV - Vulcan!
Transmission
Manual
You guys don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. shady
Well how come race cars run open headers without fear of losing backpressure whatsoever? I know what i'm talking about...headers provide enough backpressure to do whatever you want.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well how come race cars run open headers without fear of losing backpressure whatsoever? I know what i'm talking about...headers provide enough backpressure to do whatever you want.
They run open headers so there is minimal backpressure. You do not know what the term backpressure means. It is evident from your post. Most racing headers are tuned for a certain level of power. Do a websearch on backpressure, and you will find it's true meaning. shady

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I meant if you are running it with a open manifold when it is 10 degrees out you might warp a valve.
And just how would this happen? shady

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And just how would this happen? shady
Rapid temperature change, kind of like when they squirted liquid on a hot light bulb last night on Mythbusters. Even then it takes a fair amount of luck (or lack thereof) to warp one.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Rapid temperature change, kind of like when they squirted liquid on a hot light bulb last night on Mythbusters. Even then it takes a fair amount of luck (or lack thereof) to warp one.
What is going to cause this rapid temperature change? Cold air will not backup the exhaust into the combustion chamber on a running engine. And, if it did, it is the same cold air that is coming in the intake system, as I stated before. shady

Last edited:

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I want to thorw an idea out there for those who think that cold air is going to kill your exhaust valves.

I run antique farm engines under full load. Many of these govern themselves by holding the exhaust valves open between firings when idling. Many of these engines have hot heads (no coolant in the heads). most of these have no mufflers. I have gotten the exhaust valves red hot under load, fire out the exhuasts and everything. As soon as you take the load off the engine, fires only when needed and coasts pulling cool air through the valves. These valves are not modern sodium filled and all of that. They are plain hardened steel valves. I have never warped one through all of this.

I know these aren't high performance engines, but it is something to think about.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I want to thorw an idea out there for those who think that cold air is going to kill your exhaust valves.

I run antique farm engines under full load. Many of these govern themselves by holding the exhaust valves open between firings when idling. Many of these engines have hot heads (no coolant in the heads). most of these have no mufflers. I have gotten the exhaust valves red hot under load, fire out the exhuasts and everything. As soon as you take the load off the engine, fires only when needed and coasts pulling cool air through the valves. These valves are not modern sodium filled and all of that. They are plain hardened steel valves. I have never warped one through all of this.

I know these aren't high performance engines, but it is something to think about.
Correct. In the early days, before header technology changed the way things were done, we used to run open exhausts on dragsters, circle tracks, and some even on the street. Usually there was about three or so inches of exhaust pipe, and that was mainly for looks, some didn't even bother with that. The mechanics would watch the flame in the cylinders for tuning the engine. They wanted a nice blue flame. These engines were basically stock, some with a few modifications. We would run them for several seasons without problems. When problems did occur, it was from leaning out and burning stuff up.

Also, when the engine is ice, ice, cold, and you start it up, there is some pretty hot stuff going past that ice cold valve. shady

Last edited:

Chic N Stew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9ltr
Transmission
Manual
don't glasspacks on a 2.9 make it sound like a honda civic?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
don't glasspacks on a 2.9 make it sound like a honda civic?
Not really, depends on a lot of factors. I ran a single 2 1/2" glasspack with no cat dumped under the cab it was really mean sounding.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals