• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

putting in a oil pressure gauge in!

onimitsu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i got a 91 2.3l manual transmission ranger and i got this really nice oil pressure gauge for free. it is a electronic gauge and i have the sender unit for it but i am trying to find the stock oil pressure sending unit on my engine. i also am looking for in put from other people that have done this and see if it is a pain in the neck! thanks!!

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
back passenger side of the head

onimitsu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks! is it easier if i go from the bottom of the truck or the top of the truck?

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
It's kind of a toss up on that one. The temp sending unit is definitely easier from the bottom. If i remember rightly the oil pressure unit is easier from the top but you nearly have to climb into engine bay to do it.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
that sounds about right.

when I did mine I did it with the cab off... (hey, it was off, might as well). when I put mine in there was just enough room between the intake and fitting to install a Tee with a short male-male pipe (it's what I had in the garage, so I used it), in fact it rubbed the intake on it's final turn...

the stock sender is 1/4" pipe, so it's easy to find fittings compared to stuff that's 1/8" NPT... or the new metric engines that have everything in 12mm by 1.5 (or is it 1.75, it's whatever isn't something standard). ok, so my mind got stuck at work again... PS, it's hard to incorporate 3-4 oil sending units on an engine that has one 1/8" NPT port... and you can't use brass fittings...

onimitsu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
well after some playing around i put the truck on some ramps and got to work, i found out for me it was easy to go from the top and the bottom, and i had to put about an 3" extension to fit my sending unit on and it still touches the intake a very little bit. now i have to finish grinding and cutting the plastic from the electronic transfer case switch to fit my gauge. thanks all for the help!!! I will put up pics when I am all done with it!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals