• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Push rod to Master problem.

AlexLDugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am having issues, i was driving until i whent to shift into third but the pedal stuck to the floor. Had it towed. I replaced the hydraulic line from master to slave cylinder, bench/gravity/burp bled the master before installing. I replaced the clip and foam bushing as well. But i now came to realize the push rod slipped right out of master and i know once it goes in it doesnt come out. i have a 2 1/2 to 2 inch play from when i pull the pedal back to the master. Do i need a clip to attach to end of push rod to slip into master? or do i Need a new master cylinder? I am in inkster michigan for work and truck is just sitting at hotel while i lose out on money. and am 700 miles from home, I need help fast.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
My 88 push rod popped out one day...I just pushed it back into the hole and have been using it ever since...it comes out from time to time when I hit the clutch from the backside with my foot...but I just pop it back in...

The push rod does need a little plastic retainer that helps to keep the rod on the pedal, but even that has popped off from time to time...I just found a new retainer that I will replace some day...

It really does not require anything more than popping the push rod back into the master...unless the master was cracked at the top or the U clip popped out...which usually doesn't happen... Easy to fix if needed.

If it was my truck, I would put the push rod back into the top of the master and push the clutch pedal in until it pops back into place...sorta like a dislocated shoulder...you probably can't do it with your hand as it needs leg power to push...usually...

If that doesn't work, try to get some pics of the clutch master and post them up...

By the way, you probably haven't gotten any replies because this is not a tech support thread...this is for posting articles of fixes that people have found and documented for the benefit of others.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals