• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Older 5.0 and AOD

brianhood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 2000 2005
Make / Model
3 Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I’m considering trying to do an engine swap into a really nice Sport Trac body that I’ve got here. If I do this, I’ve read a good bit about swapping electronics from the dinner and marrying it to the Sport Trac. My questions are as follows. I’d like to keep it a simple as I can with as little bit of wiring as I need to do.
1. Can you take a 5.0 from a 97 (random year) and convert it into a carbureted engine? Will a 302 carb intake fit? What about the distributor. I know it has some sort of cam sensor there where the distributor would normally go. Can I put a HEI style distributor into this engine? If I can will the cam gears need to be changed? What about using a rebuilt AOD that I have at home with zero miles. Will it bolt to the 97 5.0? Will the flex plate match or will I need something different? What about the starters, are they the same? Should I use an electric fuel pump or use the in tank one with a regulator? I do plan on a serpentine system so I’ll probably leave that alone. If I do this and keep it as Non electronic as I can, will
I screw up anything as far as maybe like a body train control module (assuming that it uses one it’s an 05 sport Trac ). Thansk in advance for any advice other than keeping all Of those complex electronics!
Brian

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
I will bite a few of these questions. yes the 302 can be un-injected and carbed. (depends on your budget of course) distributor yes, but check the gear first. aod check into the trans cables to keep the proper cables running. even call a trans shop. trust me. starters will need to check into as flex plate should be ok.... pump no idea,

others i am sure can give more info about this cheers

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Depending on the random year of the engine you select, the balance weights on the flexplate and damper pulley are different, so you need the right parts for the correct weights.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The crank imbalance on all 351s and 302s 81 and earlier was 28.2 oz/in, 82 and later 302s have a 50 oz/in imbalance so make sure the harmonic balancer and flex plate are matched to the engine or it'll vibrate your teeth out. 85 and later Mustangs have roller cams and other models got them later. I'd rebuild and engine before doing a swap but if you don't you'll be able to see if it has roller lifters when you pull the intake manifold off. A flat tappet cam will mean you need an iron distributor gear, a roller needs a steel gear. If you mean an actual HEI distributor as opposed to just an electronic one, buy one from DUI and not one of the $60 Chinese ripoffs. I used a Pertronix billet distributor in my 351 and replaced it with a Duraspark unit because the centrifugal advance had a designed in delay. Early AODs used a TV rod, rod or cable, the adjustment is critical to transmission function and durability. I used an electric fuel pump because the steering box is where the mechanical pump would be, you'll have to do a test fit to see how much room you have.

brianhood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 2000 2005
Make / Model
3 Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
thanks everyone!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals