• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Nav question

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Right on. Giant screens are always appreciated
In the tight confines of a RBV cockpit... there is such a thing as too big. I wouldn't really want one much bigger than my Overlander.

I don't know when they started but updates are now free with no expiration. As long as the GPS is hooked up to WiFi or a computer via USB, you can update the maps and/or software as needed.
+1

They have been free for as long as I have had one, I snagged my first one in 2019. Same for downloading maps.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
How'd you mount that?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How'd you mount that?
It has a magnetic dock that actually holds the unit that goes to a 1" Ram ball mount. For my '85 I snagged a second ash tray at the JY, took the faceplate off and mounted a Ram ball to that and got a link to connect the two. I fished the power cord thru the dash so you can't see it.

The Bronco has an overhead Molle panel, same deal, mounted a ball mount on it and just plugged the power cord into the USB slot on the GMRS radio.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
Cool. Junk ashtray should be easy to find.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
To add to what Eric said, your standard vehicle GPS unit does not cover off road trails very much. They do have some of the public access trails but none or the private ones.

At LBL, I was able to follow along and have a decent idea where we were and I had the ability to get back to camp. The detail wasn’t great but it was there. The display is small but workable.

At AOAA, I had absolutely nothing. If I had gotten separated or needed to separate and head back, the paper map the staff gave me would have been my only information source.

With trail like the Trans American Trail, it would be a mix of public and private roads. That could be a big problem.

Thus where the tablet comes in. With a tablet that has GPS capability, you can follow along on downloaded maps and use it to select alternate routes if there is something that makes the chosen route impassable.

The bigger size also makes it easier to read as you are bouncing along the trail and can be better zoomed in or zoomed out, depending on ones’s need. It also gives you the ability to see topography and satellite images. Though the satellite imagery may require a data connection to work. I still have some learning to do on the use of OnX to see what it can and can’t do.

The alternative, if you have the cash, is to buy a GPS unit specifically made for off road. They are pretty expensive though, and the screen size isn’t as good.

EDIT: I suppose one could take the approach of “pay me now or pay me later” as well. OnX and I believe Gaia require an yearly subscription where as the dedicated GPS, like Garmin’s Offroad model does not. So in the long run, the Garmin would probably be cheaper. So, pick your poison.

My offroad GPS was something like 270$

Not as large of a screen as a tablet no.. but I feel l
In the tight confines of a RBV cockpit... there is such a thing as too big. I wouldn't really want one much bigger than my Overlander.

+1

They have been free for as long as I have had one, I snagged my first one in 2019. Same for downloading maps.

How do you like the overlander? I really would of preferred one of those over my magellan but the price of admission was too big of a pill to swallow at the time.. 700$ iirc?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My offroad GPS was something like 270$

Not as large of a screen as a tablet no.. but I feel l

How do you like the overlander? I really would of preferred one of those over my magellan but the price of admission was too big of a pill to swallow at the time.. 700$ iirc?
Snagged mine for $3xx, I love it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Ach you are way ahead of me. The hot spot thing only occurred to me the other day just before I saw your post. It works - not fast, like, maybe 3M/s. When you think about it, phones already have to transmit so it just uses that, but kind of neat.
Of course the whole point is having something that works out of cell range (offline maps) so assuming the main purpose of the tablet is nav, it really doesn't help anything.
And a phone will do the same thing a tablet will do, just, phone memory is pretty small, and, big screen is nice.
I returned the 64G A8, swapped it for 128G A8, because of sales the price was identical. Didn't get extra storage because 128G is huge, I doubt I'd ever use it all, maps aren't that big. If I do I can get 512K for like $30.
I hate spending but it was $350 regular price, sale price $180 so I figure if I were ever going to get one, now is the time.
As to SIM, there are lots of vids showing A8 with place for SIM but I'm pretty sure those are -not- US models those are foreign. Just as per hot spot - which can work - I decided SIM really doesn't help me, it's cool, but this is pretty much a one-purpose item (for offroad). That said, they are nice for use at home for news etc, where you have wi-fi.
Hope that clears up my previous mangled post about it. I still need to get the protector case for it and figure how it'll mount in the truck. Does the screen protector not interfere with the touch screen operation?
The screen protectors perform pretty much like if you had nothing on the screen. The hard glass ones are best since they are most clear and are less likely to inhibit operation. Also, they will crack instead of your screen face, protecting the face. To a certain point. There is a limit on how much they can do.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

+1

I think the A7 I got is the limit and still leave room for a passenger. Since I loaded up the interior with radios and dash space is at a premium with the road GPS and the phone mounted, I'm running out of room for much else.

I'm considering that model for use in the 2019 in the future. The price tag they are selling for right now is what held me back. Like I said before, "Pay me now or pay me later". I think in the long run, the Garmin would save money since there is no subscription service to pay for. The entry fee with the table is way lower but those yearly subscriptions will keep adding up.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think the A7 I got is the limit and still leave room for a passenger. Since I loaded up the interior with radios and dash space is at a premium with the road GPS and the phone mounted, I'm running out of room for much else.

I'm considering that model for use in the 2019 in the future. The price tag they are selling for right now is what held me back. Like I said before, "Pay me now or pay me later". I think in the long run, the Garmin would save money since there is no subscription service to pay for. The entry fee with the table is way lower but those yearly subscriptions will keep adding up.
I would have a hard time paying full price, I got a good deal on mine though. Imo that's about what they should go for.

Screenshot_20231124_202703_Flickr.jpg

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
It has a magnetic dock that actually holds the unit that goes to a 1" Ram ball mount
I ordered a link (RAM) that comes with the balls and the screen holder. What length link did you use? Medium was 4.5" that seemed short to get the pad to clear the dash and be able to angle it, so I got the 8" link. In theory the ball will attach to a junk ash tray. Stuff is super expensive, don't know why over $100 for the link/balls but anyway I did it. Will have more in that mounting arrangement than the pad cost!

Edit: Also can you tell me what is the magnetic dock I haven't seen those.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is probably how long mine is.

The magnetic dock came with my gps, the one side mounts to whatever and the other side is part of the unit.

Screenshot_20231218_112542_Samsung Internet.jpg

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
That's pretty cool. I got the RAM holder since I don't have that. Also I got the hard case for the pad which supposedly fits in the holder. By the time I got done like I was saying it's all more than the pad cost but if it works to hold it that'd be nice. Not sure how they get to charge so much for the RAM stuff maybe patents or something. I expect it to be made really well for that price. Still have to get junk ash tray but I'm thinking those ought to be easy to find.
Thanks.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
RAM mounts
That's pretty cool. I got the RAM holder since I don't have that. Also I got the hard case for the pad which supposedly fits in the holder. By the time I got done like I was saying it's all more than the pad cost but if it works to hold it that'd be nice. Not sure how they get to charge so much for the RAM stuff maybe patents or something. I expect it to be made really well for that price. Still have to get junk ash tray but I'm thinking those ought to be easy to find.
Thanks.
Are good quality. I use their mounts in both trucks and on the motorcycle.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
That 8" RAM mount is really heavy (about 2.5 lbs). Seems like that, with the pad (A8) and the case would pull the ash tray down, might still work if latter were open, but I dunno. Probably ideal mount would be to screw the RAM to the trans tunnel (floor) but that doesn't excite me much, drilling holes there. The case I got for the pad has a plastic overlay not glass so I didn't much like that.
RAM stuff is good quality no doubt there.
Afaik can still return all the stuff... over $300 in all, considering that and just using the phone but that wasn't the plan. Phone has advantage of SIM so always online in town, but off road they (pad or phone) don't work any differently you have to have a saved map either way.
I guess I have to think about it/check stuff a little more but if I start doing trial mount to ash tray I could end up the RAM mount looking 'used' then wouldn't be able to return it.
Blah.
RAM holder for the pad (w/ case) is good. No problem with any of their stuff, pricey, but well made.
Wish I could find a mount point in the right place on the steel of the dash ass'y. And probably will return the case, and try to get one with glass screen protector. I just made the assumption it'd be glass, that's what I get for assuming, eh.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals