• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Movin' to the Midwest, Rust-Proofing

CaliRanger1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm moving to North Dakota for school next summer and want to prepare my truck for the salty roads out in the Midwest. Who should I turn to for rustproofing my Ranger and it's undercarriage at a reasonable price? I don't want to see my truck get that wheel well rust during the winters out there.

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there really isn't anything you can do, well not much, have it undercoated before you leave cali, and wash the udnerside off frequently.

not sure if they have shops in cali or not but when I lived in WA, zeebart did a great job or rustproofing (metal sealer) and udnercoating.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
+1 Get it coated and then wash out the wheel wells frequently. There isn't usually salt/slush on the roads for days at a time unless it doesn't stop snowing and the roads will usually dry pretty quickly. I spray the underside everytime I drive on wet roads. It helps to have a heated shop as well. Otherwise, the carwash will do just fine if you don't mind the $$$. Depends on how much you love the truck.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
the biggest reason rangers get wheel well rust is the fact ford injected foam between the bedside and the inner wheel house when they welded them together, and it retains water.

Having it undercoated might help a little bit, but its not going to prevent it.

Also, ziebart sucks. My truck was ziebarted before I bought it, they drill alot of holes for absolutely no reason. And really it doesn't do much, seeing as how my truck rusted everywhere they "rustproofed" anyway.

Your best bet is to get a gallon of this stuff, mix it with a bit of used motor oil. And apply it with one of these(you'll need the wand with it). I suggest taking off your door panels, and spraying all the seams from inside of the door. Get up above the wheelhouses on the bed and spray as much as you can on the seem between the bedside and the wheel house. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to get the insides of the front fenders. You should take down your headliner and spray the front corners of the roof also, thats a common rust spot on rangers, also inside of the cowl, and behind the dash if you really want to prevent it. Basically I would spray anywhere where water and dirt would have a chance to collect and sit. Obviously you'll want to wash all of these areas prior to undercoating.

This will insure your truck is truly rustproofed. Ziebart is just a bunch of halfasses that like to drill holes for nothing more than lazyness.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Krown Rush control, they garrenty there work

shortwave

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Where about are you going to school in ND? As far as rust proofing its not a real issue in ND we don't salt our roads in the winter. I think its coal dust and sand or gravel. As long as you wash your vehicle once in a while it shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you get the mud and dirt washed out of the wheel wells.

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
zman, I have to disagree, I worked at ziebart for over a year, it mainl depends on the individual shop.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
zman, I have to disagree, I worked at ziebart for over a year, it mainl depends on the individual shop.
hes still much better off taking the time and doing it himself than taking it to them where they drill holes and spray areas that don't even rust in the first place and totally miss the important areas.

And while we're at it, how much does slathering POR-15 on the seam at the bottom of the door help? It doesn't.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going to have to go ahead and agree with Lee. Every older vehicle I've seen that was Ziebarted had rust bubbling out from the drilled holes....

ScubaDive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Krown Rush control, they garrenty there work
Well Krown is ok, I have always taking all cars there and so far so good but Now I have a 2008 Ranger and I have talked to the Ford Rep. + been doing some reading online. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do personally.
-New Truck Warrenty
- 5 years rust (this is only on defective paint/metal) anything else not covered.

- Krown UnderSpray
http://www.krown.com/

USED CARS
UNLIMITED MILEAGE - FOR MAX. 60 MONTHS SUBJECT TO SHOP APPROVAL

This warranty applies to used vehicles purchased less than 24 months prior to application of KROWN, within 3 years of manufacture production date, except as may be extended by applicable provincial laws.

ANNUAL APPLICATION GIVES CONTINUED PROTECTION

If you have KROWN Rust Control applied by a certified applicator annually within 30 days (plus or minus) of the anniversary date we will warranty:

1. ALL body panels below window line.
2. ALL seams and crevices.
3. All floors/rocker panels.

If any of the above perforate by rusting from the inside out, we will repair/replace them at No Charge, up to the then current cash value of the vehicle (as listed in the Black Book Listing). If you sell the vehicle, the warranty is transferable to the new owner at No Cost. The warranty is honoured at all KROWN Centres.

KROWN's warranty excludes only the following:

Roofs with vinyl tops; rusting caused by stone chips, nicks, scratches, chips; rusting of chrome caulk filled areas; the front fenders without fender liners. KROWN, under the conditions of this warranty, shall not be responsible for lost time, inconvenience or any other consequential damage including loss of use of vehicle in the event repairs are made to the vehicle under the conditions of this warranty.

WARRANTY AMENDMENTS TO ACCIDENT DAMAGED VEHICLES IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENT, THE DAMAGED SECTION MUST BE RE-TREATED WITH KROWN (WITHOUT CHARGE) WITHIN 30 DAYS OF REPAIRS BEING COMPLETED.

However, KROWN has the option of canceling the warranty depending on the extent of damage and/or quality of repair on the affected area.

NEW CAR

This warranty applies to new vehicles purchased less than six months prior to the application of KROWN, within one year of manufacture production date, except as may be extended by applicable provincial laws.

ANNUAL APPLICATION GIVES CONTINUED PROTECTION If you have KROWN Rust Control applied by a certified applicator annually within 30 days (plus or minus) of the anniversary date we will warranty:

1. ALL body panels below window line.
2. ALL seams and crevices.
3. All floors/rocker panels.

If any of the above perforate by rusting from the inside out, we will repair/replace them at No Charge, up to the then current cash value of the vehicle (as listed in the Black Book Listing). If you sell the vehicle, the warranty is transferable to the new owner at No Cost. The warranty is honoured at all KROWN Centres.

KROWN's warranty excludes only the following:
Roofs with vinyl tops; rusting caused by stone chips, nicks, scratches, chips; rusting of chrome caulk filled areas; the front fenders without fender liners.

KROWN, under the conditions of this warranty, shall not be responsible for lost time, inconvenience or any other consequential damage including loss of use of vehicle in the event repairs are made to the vehicle under the conditions of this warranty.

WARRANTY AMENDMENTS TO ACCIDENT DAMAGED VEHICLES IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENT, THE DAMAGED SECTION MUST BE RE-TREATED WITH KROWN (WITHOUT CHARGE) WITHIN 30 DAYS OF REPAIRS BEING COMPLETED.

However, KROWN has the option of canceling the warranty depending on the extent of damage and/or quality of repair on the affected area.

SO BASICLLY, DAMNED IF YOU DO DAMNEDYOU DON'T:dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals