• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

mass airflow sensor choice

Kiyp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2002 mazda b-3000 ds ffv, when i got it it had a bad MAF, so i replaced it with one from the junkyard only to find that while it works it throws a code for not having the air temp sensor built into it as its from a year where it wasnt built into the MAF yet, i thought no problem ill just get one with it built in from the junkyard, but when i did the housing was too large at both ends, and when i tried to adapt it i got hard shifts and poor running and a MAF code, so i tossed it and i ordered a new one that said it was compatible with my truck, however when it came in today it was the same as the last one, too big of a housing with a sensor that thows codes and causes the truck to run like garbage, so for jow im running the first one i got from the junkyard without to air temp sensor built in, my question is what MAF sensor do i need, because i havent seen one at the junkyard with a small housing and built in air temp sensor and all the advertised ones online seem to be wrong.

The sensor in this metal housing also seems to be a different size from the ones in the plastic housing, its short with that long pole being built into the cast housing while the plastic ones have that center pole built onto the housing

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Puts me in mind of my 93 air intake
The rubber ring that sealed the intake to the valve body deteriorated and fell apart. I looked high and low to find one that fit, all to no avail.
The dealership was the only place to get one and they only sold it with the entire intake assembly for about $300.00
I used some construction self sealing foam and wrapped it tight and used 2 or 3 large hose clamps, not perfect but it's worked as best it could for at least 10 years now

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The MAF sensor weighs the incoming air and its a percentage so its important to use the correct MAF housing and sensor for the engine size

Yes, in 2001 and up Ford switched to 6 wire MAF with the built in ACT(air temp) sensor
So Mazda B-series would also use the 6 wire version 2001 and up

If you still have the original housing you should be able to swap in a 6 wire MAF sensor, the housings don't wear out

Google: 2002 Ford Ranger 3.0l MAF sensor

MAF sensor is the same for gas only or Flex Fuel, since its Air Weight nothing to do with fuel type used

MAF sensors rarely fail but are often replaced
They should be cleaned every year or two, it's easy to do

Gasoline uses 14.7:1 air:fuel ratio, which is a weight ratio
14.7 pounds or air to 1 pound of gasoline, its why fuel injectors are rated in pounds per hour of fuel flow
14.7 grams or air to 1 gram of gasoline

3 liter engine pulls in 3 liters of air every 2 RPM at Wide Open Throttle(max RPM)
So computer can easily calculate how many liters of air is coming in, at say 2,000rpm, its just Math, doesn't change

Problem is that air weight changes a lot
A liter of air at Sea Level weighs 1,200grams at 60degF
At 80degF its 1,000grams, so much lighter
And if you drive up in the mountains its also much lighter air and less pressure
So the weight of the air changes with outside temp and elevation above sea level
Gasoline pretty much stays the same, US gal. about 6lbs

So MAF sensor and Air Temp sensor play an important roll for the computer to get the air:fuel mix just right

This is why carburetors were such a PITA, summer tune and winter tune and hopefully you stayed at close to the same elevations when driving, lol

Kiyp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
The MAF sensor weighs the incoming air and its a percentage so its important to use the correct MAF housing and sensor for the engine size

Yes, in 2001 and up Ford switched to 6 wire MAF with the built in ACT(air temp) sensor
So Mazda B-series would also use the 6 wire version 2001 and up

If you still have the original housing you should be able to swap in a 6 wire MAF sensor, the housings don't wear out

Google: 2002 Ford Ranger 3.0l MAF sensor

MAF sensor is the same for gas only or Flex Fuel, since its Air Weight nothing to do with fuel type used

MAF sensors rarely fail but are often replaced
They should be cleaned every year or two, it's easy to do

Gasoline uses 14.7:1 air:fuel ratio, which is a weight ratio
14.7 pounds or air to 1 pound of gasoline, its why fuel injectors are rated in pounds per hour of fuel flow
14.7 grams or air to 1 gram of gasoline

3 liter engine pulls in 3 liters of air every 2 RPM at Wide Open Throttle(max RPM)
So computer can easily calculate how many liters of air is coming in, at say 2,000rpm, its just Math, doesn't change

Problem is that air weight changes a lot
A liter of air at Sea Level weighs 1,200grams at 60degF
At 80degF its 1,000grams, so much lighter
And if you drive up in the mountains its also much lighter air and less pressure
So the weight of the air changes with outside temp and elevation above sea level
Gasoline pretty much stays the same, US gal. about 6lbs

So MAF sensor and Air Temp sensor play an important roll for the computer to get the air:fuel mix just right

This is why carburetors were such a PITA, summer tune and winter tune and hopefully you stayed at close to the same elevations when driving, lol
Well yes i realize all of this the issue is that the 6 wire MAF sensors ive tried even ones labeled as for my truck's year make and model have had the wrong size housing, the maf senosr will not fit in the housing i have, and when i adapted the thing to fit my intake anyways it caused the engine to run rough and made my transmission jerk hard on shifts, however i realize its supposed to take a 6 wire maf sensor with thr built in air temp sensor due to it having a 6 wire connector

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Have you tried one from the yard?
Yeah, I know they took a big nosedive a couple3 years ago on pricing but still, if you choose one carefully you may can come out with one that works
My best wishes either way sir
Editing here, I would pay the warranty price, in case it don't work the first time you might get another shot, and if it does work the first time, you won't care :D

Kiyp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I know they took a big nosedive a couple3 years ago on pricing but still, if you choose one carefully you may can come out with one that works
Editing here, I would pay the warranty price, in case it don't work the first time you might get another shot, and if it does work the first time, you won't care :D
Well the one currently running is from the junkyard but its only a 4 wire sensor and doesn't have the air temp sensor, i tried one that had the 6 wire connector but it had the wrong size housing, tried to adapt it but the truck did not like it one bit, every other 6 wire maf ive seen at the the same, although for some reason they are usually all taken these days, ordered one online and it was the same issue

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Maybe the problem is elsewhere ?

Kiyp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well the one currently running is from the junkyard but its only a 4 wire sensor and doesn't have the air temp sensor, i tried one that had the 6 wire connector but it had the wrong size housing, tried to adapt it but the truck did not like it one bit, every other 6 wire maf ive seen at the the same, although for some reason they are usually all taken these days, ordered one online and it was the same issue
Maybe the problem is elsewhere ?
Thing is the truck seems to run perfectly fine with the old style MAF, im just wanting to gey rid of the CEL and maybe get better mpg, im considering getting the old style air temp sensor and rewiring that connector, drilling a hole in the intake and installing it like that cause i mean what else can i do

I really dont want the CEL because i have no idea if a new code pops up and if i ever wanna sell the truck it kills the value

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think you should try and sort it out sir, no matter which way you decide to go, I just can't help but believe it would be your best bet

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals