• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MAB3L, the most reasonable truck on the road!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
One caution on the plates underneath. Pull them off every so often to clean out the accumulated dirt and what not so they don't become a moisture trap, causing hidden corrosion issues. Even skid plates can cause that issue. So, while worth while to do, just keep in mind that there is going to be some additional maintenance that needs to be done that people forget about.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
One caution on the plates underneath. Pull them off every so often to clean out the accumulated dirt and what not so they don't become a moisture trap, causing hidden corrosion issues. Even skid plates can cause that issue. So, while worth while to do, just keep in mind that there is going to be some additional maintenance that needs to be done that people forget about.
Thanks for the reminder, my hope was to set them up to be taken on and off relatively easily while still being secure.

Up where I live very few stock plastic undertrays survive long in part due to road conditions, but mostly due to the winter. Between snapped plastic clips and corrosion underneath the vehicle I see a car that's either missing or actively has a dangling undertray at least once a day.

Hell the Hyundai I had started ejecting its undertray within my first year of ownership with basically 0 hard driving, just regular winters and pizza delivery.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Lots of the Ecomodder guys use coroplast as it's cheaper, lighter, and can be shaped/installed more quickly than other materials.

It's election season down here in the States, and an intrepid individual could probably source big sheets of it from campaigns for nothing.

You can also buy large sheets of it from sign shops or on this here interweb.
I actually work in local politics, I know one of the folks I worked with isn't going to be running again next election, so I may ask to grab some of the old lawn signs for this part of the project.

I could probably also use it for the grill blocks too...

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I wonder how effective a "slide in" design could be at least for the center section, something like fabricated rails that let me slide in long continuous sheets and are secured by effectively clamping them down. Given that I'll be removing the tray with some frequency for maintenance, other work and probably in the winter it'd be nice to be able to slide them off tool-less.

Looking at how other folks go about it is pretty eye opening/a bit daunting:

1714053427668.png

1714053446723.png

I don't have a lot of fab experience, and given the truck's driveline I don't think it'll be entirely feasible for the center section, but I'm sure somebody on Ecomodders has figure it out.

I may actually be able to get enough of the large lawn-sign type coroplast sheets to have spares cut to shape just ready to go when one gets damage...

I was just told they had over 1000 24x48 signs, and god knows how many smaller ones available.

Shit I'm gonna become a hoarder aren't I....

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I wonder how effective a "slide in" design could be at least for the center section, something like fabricated rails that let me slide in long continuous sheets and are secured by effectively clamping them down. Given that I'll be removing the tray with some frequency for maintenance, other work and probably in the winter it'd be nice to be able to slide them off tool-less.

View attachment 110035
View attachment 110036
I don't have a lot of fab experience, and given the truck's driveline I don't think it'll be entirely feasible for the center section, but I'm sure somebody on Ecomodders has figure it out.

I may actually be able to get enough of the large lawn-sign type coroplast sheets to have spares cut to shape just ready to go when one gets damage...

I was just told they had over 1000 24x48 signs, and god knows how many smaller ones available.

Perhaps even a partial covering would help.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

View attachment 110035
View attachment 110036
If I were looking for ways to easily and securely mount panels without tools, I think I'd investigate places to mount aerodynamic hood pins:

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If I were looking for ways to easily and securely mount panels without tools, I think I'd investigate places to mount aerodynamic hood pins:

Fastners and attachment is really going to come down to cost, and durability with a side of ease of removal.

Those hood pins look pretty sick, but I'm worried about their longevity/how secure they'd be given rocks and other debris are going to be thrown up into them basically all the time.

I do like the idea of a retained spring though.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

View attachment 110035
View attachment 110036

If you leave the tolerances loose enough the sliding part might woŕk.

As far as quick release fasters, I've yet to see anything that would work well under a vehicle for very long in locations north of the rust belt. But everything I've seen is either plastic or on aircraft.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
all i know is aircraft or plastic too. well, or the 10mm ones used on the bottom of my son's 05 mazda6. his tray isn't going anywhere without a ratchet but i bet the northern mazda6s are a pain to remove that tray on.

on our trucks, you will need a bunch of those signs to make an full under tray. on some unibody cars, they have it easy since the floor is right there already so they just have to cover certain areas. and some manufacturers already made covers for the exhaust and engine bay, like my old bmw. it had an full engine lower tray which connected from the lower radiator to behind the firewall, than it had the complete area where the exhaust was run shielded and had little flaps directing air over the area where the gas tank sat so air didn't get caught there, too.

man, i never realized how much thought the bmw guys put into their aero stuff, and this was on 85 to 91 model 3 series.

luckily, you can try to just run from one frame side across to the other, to start with. make a slot to fit around the leaf springs and maybe you an make it all the way to the rear bumper with just a slot for the leaf springs and the driveshaft?

this actually sounds kind of cool

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
all i know is aircraft or plastic too. well, or the 10mm ones used on the bottom of my son's 05 mazda6. his tray isn't going anywhere without a ratchet but i bet the northern mazda6s are a pain to remove that tray on.

on our trucks, you will need a bunch of those signs to make an full under tray. on some unibody cars, they have it easy since the floor is right there already so they just have to cover certain areas. and some manufacturers already made covers for the exhaust and engine bay, like my old bmw. it had an full engine lower tray which connected from the lower radiator to behind the firewall, than it had the complete area where the exhaust was run shielded and had little flaps directing air over the area where the gas tank sat so air didn't get caught there, too.

man, i never realized how much thought the bmw guys put into their aero stuff, and this was on 85 to 91 model 3 series.

luckily, you can try to just run from one frame side across to the other, to start with. make a slot to fit around the leaf springs and maybe you an make it all the way to the rear bumper with just a slot for the leaf springs and the driveshaft?

this actually sounds kind of cool
Short of getting some super high quality zip ties (which would still require me to have extra zip ties and a set of snips for replacement), I doubt I'll be able to figure out a mounting set up that will be durable while still tool-less.

I think with this truck it's gonna be a matter of some sections being pretty easy and others going to be a lot harder.

It'll be best to lower the truck before installing an undertray mostly because it'll give me the most benefit then, and the suspension and drivetrain positions will be more or less in place.

The nice part about using coroplast vs. aluminum or hard abs plastic is that it's super easy to cut and trim. Only thing I'm slightly worried about is the durability and deformation since it doesn't take too much to bend it.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
For fasteners, what about something like these? You can buy generic ones in packs of 100+ cheap. Quick to remove and replace.
1714145179165.png

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
As far as durability at the attachment points, installing some gromments should do the trick. These would be the gromets like one would use on a tarp or a tent. They just need to be big enough to reenforce the areas the panel is going to be fastened at. Harware stores have complete installation kits in a few different sizes.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
For fasteners, what about something like these? You can buy generic ones in packs of 100+ cheap. Quick to remove and replace.
View attachment 110092
Not sure how much I'd trust these to hold onto a long, wind battered sheet of plastic.

Maybe I'll just start carrying just bring an electric ratchet, and as many 10mm sockets as possible with me on road trips lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals