• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking to upgrade to a bigger tire for my rims if possible. 1993 Ranger XLT SC

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
There is a few of us odd balls that are in the middle. 😜

I'm neither looking for more economy or power. I'm just making the best of what I have.

You haven't seen bad on the power side though. Hop on the 2019+ Ford Ranger Performance facebook page. WOW!...
Those guys want to boost every bit of power out of the truck that they possibly can.
I am sorely tempted. I do like mods that make more HP and better mileage. And even if I never get up out of my old rocking chair, I like to see what others are doing.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I am sorely tempted. I do like mods that make more HP and better mileage. And even if I never get up out of my old rocking chair, I like to see what others are doing.
It was neat to read and see some of it but it got old after a little while with the same things over and over again.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
should have rear 2” blocks, mine did.
Interesting. I just went and looked at them again and measured with calipers and they are exactly 2-1/2" not 3" as I had said previously.
Anyway I'm running oem tire size (ok - 265's - same thing) and to me the proportions, wheel gap, everything looks correct. I know with 235's it looked like 'shoes too small'.
It drives nice, seems real good off-road (light to moderate, not rock crawling), I'm very happy with the change to the 31" K02's. I had them put the wheel weights inside so it's nice cosmetically.
I like the way it looks and performs.
IMG_3386[1].JPG

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm pretty much in the school of "making the best of what I have" too. A decent reliable rig is my main priority. Nice to see the 2019 + getting a niche about it and cool to see their videos. I'm old school, into my 50's now and will stay on the cheap with 2011/older. I appreciate the simplicity and am able to fix anything on them. I have a complete 1985 2.3 turbo coupe motor just waiting for an '80s Ranger to call home ! someday...

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I'm pretty much in the school of "making the best of what I have" too. A decent reliable rig is my main priority. Nice to see the 2019 + getting a niche about it and cool to see their videos. I'm old school, into my 50's now and will stay on the cheap with 2011/older. I appreciate the simplicity and am able to fix anything on them. I have a complete 1985 2.3 turbo coupe motor just waiting for an '80s Ranger to call home ! someday...
I drove my last truck for over 20 years and made no upgrades, except for bigger tires. i didn't have much money at the time, so picked up a set of used ones at a junkyard. Being bigger, they lasted about as long as a brand new set of stock sizes. There's nothing at all wrong with the original size, but bigger tires are safer.

It's my opinion that auto manufacturers put on the cheapest tires they can. They have their reasons. There's no profit in tires. Besides, a narrow tire provides for a better mileage report on the window sticker.

Last edited:

Angry Possum

No Fat Chicks, Truck Will Scrape
Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.
The front driver's side tire still scrapes slightly when making hard left turn only. I really don't want to do any lift right now, funds are low, holidays are coming, and I just had it aligned. I guess I'll live with it for now.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
The front driver's side tire still scrapes slightly when making hard left turn only. I really don't want to do any lift right now, funds are low, holidays are coming, and I just had it aligned. I guess I'll live with it for now.
There is another cheap fix. Find out exactly where the tire scrapes. If it is the plastic liner inside the fender well. then grind it back or bend it out of the way. There might be a problem there anyway. Sometimes stuff happens.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals