• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

looking to get a new differential

buvoir

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The carrier IS the rear end. It's more or less the heart inside the rear axle, right now you have an open carrier... and you're wanting either a locking or limited slip carrier.

The ring gear is the bigger gear in the rear axle attached to the carrier, it's the gear that when spun.. turns the carrier/axles/wheels. The ring gear gets spun off of the pinion gear.. which is more or less attached to the end of the driveshaft.
thank you. I've been taking notes over here.

buvoir

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Seems like a true locker is a last resort for the OP.

That... and cost wise... if a locker is what hes gonna end up with than buying a complete axle direct from ford would ultimately be the cheaper route to take. Most aftermarket lockers are 1000$+, then add in the cost of a set of gears 400$, master install kit 300$, labor 1000$+... I'm too tired to do math right now but I'm sure my point has been made.

Buy new axle, diy install, sell old axle to recoup large amount of cost.
but that ford axle with the locker disengages at 25 mph

buvoir

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Locking rear axle was ~$400 option - if you don't need it, it's money in your pocket.

I'm almost in @Blmpkn 's camp - I just wouldn't buy a brand new axle: From car-part.com - there is a locking differential in Webster, NY for ~$1,650. (There are some cheaper ones on other side of Lake Ontario if you want to go for a little drive). You won't get the parts for that, and definitely not new axle from Ford.
webster is nearby. Is this a factory locker that shuts off at 25 mph or something else?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That would be an axle with the factory locker. Ford's programming shuts it off at 25mph for a 2wd, a 4wd in 4lo has a much higher disengagement, so there should be a way to program it higher, but I'm not sure I'd recommend that.

I picked Webster as your location is listed as Rochester.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
webster is nearby. Is this a factory locker that shuts off at 25 mph or something else?
That would be an axle with the factory locker. Ford's programming shuts it off at 25mph for a 2wd, a 4wd in 4lo has a much higher disengagement, so there should be a way to program it higher, but I'm not sure I'd recommend that.
Mostly the locker shuts off at 25 mph. In the Terrain Management system it will stay on up to about 55 mph in Sand Mode. You have to add the knob for Terrain Management and activate it in Forscan. There is a Snow Mode too. That might be worth a shot before you drop serious coin on a new axle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals