• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hybrid Ranger MustangII/Pinto

Monzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone. If you remember me, I race the Ranger on asphalt circle track. Ive been reading about other race tracks that let the Ranger Mini-stock (4cyl) trucks change front suspension and steering to old school MustangII or Pinto style. They were coil spring, control arm and rack and pinion.

Anyone ever tried or witnessed this? Will it work for massive drops or bags better than beams or modifying components?

Just wondered.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Most people who have the I beam Rangers actually like to switch to the Toyota front clip to bag their trucks.

However I do not see a problem in switching to the newer 98 and up front clip either.

But I have heard talk about people using the mustang II front clip but have not seen it done, YET.
But if you are baging your truck the mustang II suspension does offer a drop spindle which is a major plus with bags.

Also the Toyota clip offer drop spindle too.

However just about any control arm clip will work for the front of your Ranger with a little persuasion. I hope this answers what you are asking and keep us updated on what you are doing this sounds like fun.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Pinto/Mustang II front suspension system is frequently used in drag racing. There are a number of aftermarket companies that sell weld in kits. The system is extremely simple and light weight. Rotors in the 5x4 1/2" bolt pattern are readily available. If I were going to build a street Ranger, I wouldn't even think about any other system.
Also because the Pinto and Mustang II chassis are the most frequently used mini stock in the world, there is a huge selection in spring rates. As well as brakes, spindles, and steering racks.

Monzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I cant clip the front end. They dont allow frame modifications. I was more looking at weld on brackets and bolt on components. All of the I beam mounts have the rivets in them. They come off easy.

Now how about the steering rack. Manual Pinto style sits far lower. You'd almost need a steering shaft extension.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Well then to be honest:huh: I have yet to see someone convert the front end from I beam to control arms without changing the clip. :dntknw:

I would say probably to make this job a whole lot easier on you, and mayber cheaper... Buy a 98-2000 Ranger, 1) Already has the control arms and rack and ppinion steering 2) still has the 2.5 you are aquanted with 3) you might be able to pick it up fairly cheap.

But this is really your call and if you are going to do the I beam to control arm conversion I would really like to see how you go about this, However it does sound like a good idea.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I've seen a MII on a ranger twice, both times they clipped it, basically just cut the frame off at the firewall, and made new rails out of 2x3, and used a universal crossmember and rack.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals