• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How does parking brake linkage work?

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I am happy to have a functioning parking brake system again, I tested it earlier today.
The equalizer nut number of turns specified in the manual, could not be taken literally in my case.
That might be based on the original factory OEM set up. I have new cables and threaded rod which might be a slightly different spec or length.

The tension I dialed in is pretty tight. The pedal is harder than before. Man.....when you engage the parking brakes on my truck, you ain't going nowhere. Those brakes are locked TIGHT! And when you pull the release lever....BAM...that pedal
slams open. I'm thinking about backing off the adjusting nut. Or maybe I'll just leave it as is. Thanks Ron and friends.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The spring on the equalizer has a lot to do with power it takes to push pedal down and the quickness of pedal return/release

You can try longer, so less tight, spring
Or use "S" hooks to lengthen existing spring until you get a good pedal feel and return, then measure it and get a spring that long

Spring should like more like this with pedal released: https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ranger-forums.com-vbulletin/1000x562/lteyapj_12de62ca46c9c808e1a74e847fcc94493e082d17.jpg

Can be a bit tighter, but in you last picture it looked way to tight even if that was with parking brake on

All the spring is really doing is holding cable ends tight so they can't fall apart or sag, and to pull brake pedal cable back when its released

Last edited:

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I had conflicting diagrams of the attachment points for the coiled spring. The spring attachment might be different for other Ford models. I was uncertain about this. I had the other end of the spring attached to the hole in the tensioner. Now I have the spring attached from leaf spring bracket to the the equalizer. Is this correct now in the photo?

P_20231006_150804.jpg

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that looks better
But its still tight pushing down and coming back up?

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Yes. It is still tight when I depress the pedal. But the parking brakes definitely work. They engage and disengage on demand. I guess the equalizer nut could be backed out some. It's kind of a pain figuring out the number of turns to adjust the nut.

Could it be something with the release handle assembly?

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I made further adjustments with the equalizer nut. The pedal hardness is not as tight now. I still need to test how well the parking brakes work on an incline. I might need to tighten the cable another full turn of the nut. That return spring in the photo is stretched out a little. I'll probably have to match that with a universal spring to replace. Thanks for your patience.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Parking brakes hold very tight facing downhill, not so much facing uphill

i.e. you can back out of driveway or parking spot but then can't go forward if Parking brake is on
This has to do with geometry of how the rear brakes work inside the drum

But the combination of engine compression and Parking brake friction facing uphill should hold
But ALWAYS turn front tires into the curb, parking uphill or downhill

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I'll have a chance to test it on an incline tonight. Then I'll reply.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I tested on a hill earlier this evening. I engaged the parking brakes while in neutral, in both uphill and downhill positions.
The truck would not move. On my level driveway, the truck would not in move in drive if I gave it some gas with parking brake engaged. But if I gave it some gas in reverse with brake engaged, it would roll with some tension. Hope this sounds right.

I guess people in San Francisco use their parking brakes every day.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, sounds right

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Cool. Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals