• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Pump Longetivity Report

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My Masterpro MPA27004 lasted 2 years 1 month and 15 days. It was a Chinese brand from Oreilleys. Does anybody know of a better brand. I doubt I can get one from Ford for a 94 truck. Pulling that bed is such a pain in the @$$. Thanks.

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Guess I got what I paid for. Turns out that Masterpro was only guaranteed for a year. There is another model that has a lifetime warranty.
Also there is a pump motor that just replaces the pump part. Anybody ever done that. The pump motor is a lot cheaper than the whole thing. Thanks.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Replacing just the pump instead of the sender is a lot more work, but I would say worth it for cost savings. Done it a few times. Getting the old fuel line off the pump is a pita.

I have a walborro 255lph pump in my stock sender. Had to open up the hole for the intake port a bit to allow for the larger opening, but it works well.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I've used just about every brand of fuel pump out there and I can tell you that it doesn't really matter what you use... most are junk. Motorcraft, if you can find one, will be your best bet.

Part of the problem is that things get rebranded and reboxed so many times that you never know what you're getting. You might think that NAPA might have better parts than Autozone but that might not be the case, might be the same junk in both boxes (or not.) Main thing is to buy one with a lifetime warranty and hold the store to it when it fails... keep your receipt! I had O'Reilly replace one pump 6 times, another NAPA pump has been replaced at least 3-4 times... I just bring in a stack of stapled together receipts going back 15 years and explain that their junk continues to fail.

Might not hurt to clean out your fuel tank if you get repeated failures too. I replaced a pump one time without doing that because it looked OK but the new pump died within a couple hours. I drained the tank and there was a layer of very fine silt floating around that would make its way past the strainer.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My 1994 is original, knock on wood, and still going strong, as far as I know, lol

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
My '93 4.0 fuel pump I think is on its way out...keeps occasionally blowing the maxi fuse. Its at around 90k original miles.

Deiimos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
For your year, Motorcraft looks rather difficult to find so you might be at the mercy of trying one with the lifetime or limited lifetime warranty and hope for the best, save your reciept and maybe even make a copy of the receipt. I swapped my fuel pump a few months back, Rockauto luckily had a Motorcraft for my year. This was in my 2001 and the old pump appeared to be original with around 218K miles on it. I'd definitely prefer Motorcraft for this, but not much you can do if nobody has them anymore.

Bear in the woods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/1999
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 in 90 , 4.0 in 99
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
30”
put one in my 90 bout 5 months ago. Can’t remember what brand. I usually get online and read up on requirements for the truck with the proper engine. And get something just a lil above the requirements. Last one went 5 1/2 years.
However I will be putting one in my 99 tomorrow.

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tried Carter and the one listed on rock auto for an extended cab is too short and results in loss of range. I replaced with a Delphi for a regular cab and it worked a little over a year. Then back to a Carter for a regular cab. It didn’t fix my issue. So what just ordered one for an extended cab off eBay motor craft brand. It was expensive but I hope it fixes it. Part number PFS-38. There are still plenty NOS motor crafts on eBay. I have a 1991 4.0 extended cab.

Bear in the woods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/1999
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 in 90 , 4.0 in 99
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
30”
Pay attention to psi and flow rate needed vs what you are getting. Most that say will fit don’t have the needed requirements

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I had a similar problem dealing with cam synchro, as in had trouble finding a good one. OEM discontinued. After going through a few aftermarket units failing, I found a NOS Motorcraft unit on fleabay. Its been a few years and miles now and no problems so far.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals