• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Frame rust evaluation - is it worth keeping?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well… the best way to check for soft spots is to go at it with a chipping hammer, one of the cheap ones with the spring for the handle. Makes the process more comfortable like. Because around here you’re gonna want all the comfort you can get after you do this. Totally not kidding. I have successfully swapped the rear frame section on a 2000 Ranger, and also cut and spliced a damaged section forward on the same truck, and did some other frame patches and capped most of the bottom rail under the cab.

I‘ve also had the thrilling opportunity to do a bunch of other frame work on various other trucks. Probably the most brutal was patching behind the steering box on my F-150. I had limited tools and time and money. I got a steel plate big enough and it was a good few hours of tack, heat, beat, tack, weld, heat, beat, tack, weld, repeat… to mold that complex curve.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I’ve always wanted to splice together a supercab with a longbed rear frame, as there was never a factory “longbed supercab “ ranger. I know its been done before, Ive seen a picture here before. Never did it though just because it seemed like quite a bit of effort to just gain 1ft of bed length.

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I’ve always wanted to splice together a supercab with a longbed rear frame, as there was never a factory “longbed supercab “ ranger. I know its been done before, Ive seen a picture here before. Never did it though just because it seemed like quite a bit of effort to just gain 1ft of bed length.
If we could only get the Mexican crewcab Ranger and put a 7' bed on it
Then remove the back wall of the cab and put the back of a supercab on it, truck would be really long and hard to park though.

swampyankee

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235-17
Oh pfft.. that's the easy part! Just get under there with something hard and wail on it all over the place 😋

Your focus can pretty much be the back half of the frame. Rear of cab >>> rear bumper. Places where two slabs of steel are bolted/riveted together should be well scrutinized.. spring/shackle hangers, body mount brackets, etc.. crap can get caught between these things and the frame and rot from the inside out. Check out the condition of all the crossmembers on the frame AND on the bed.. check out wherever the gas tank straps hook into..
Good advice. Thats what I was looking for. I'll have to get a good face shield to guard me from the rain of rust. LOL

swampyankee

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235-17
I'm content with my shortbed extended cab Ranger. LOL

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was given an 87 or 88 Ranger around 2002, he just wanted it gone. It wouldn't turn over so I started checking battery posts and starter cables and it wasn't long to a Vroom!. It had no brakes at all, can't remember if emergency was good or not but it was a stick so I just anticipated the lights and such and drove it on home. Later got a friend to take me back to get my beat up old Chevy LUV.

I put the thing up on jack stands all around and took off under it with a chipping hammer in one hand and a can of black spray paint in the other, the 99 cent spray paint.

Less than two months in I had probs with the Chevy Izuzu. started missing work but got on the Ford full time, found a brake line that had been patched with a 4 ft piece of rubber hose. The poor guy had his wife and baby in it when he found out that didn't work :/
I got it on the road and got it tagged and insured, inspected, he had given me the title at Thanksgiving. I had gone to another job and Xmas and new years were both on Wednesday so I took off to Oklahoma and stayed both weeks :D

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
If we could only get the Mexican crewcab Ranger and put a 7' bed on it
Then remove the back wall of the cab and put the back of a supercab on it, truck would be really long and hard to park though.
There was a guy on here years ago that did an F-350 double crew cab 8’ bed monster. The build thread might still be on here somewhere.

Also, I never got a picture of it, but someone around here had an F-350 extended cab crew cab with a sleeper box on the front of the 8’ bed with dually’s.

Be pretty cool to do something like that with a Ranger for sure

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Till you had to turn

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ahhh, that's what a Norwegian flick is for.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Scandinavian*

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals