• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flowmaster 40's

rangermx25

Reaction score
i have the flowmaster 40 exhaust on my 4.0 ranger. Are there any ways i can make it louder w/o goin 2 a glasspack, cuttin the cats, or running strate pipes and still pass inspection?

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
you want it LOUDER with a 40 seriese on there? why? its a V6 lol, any louded and it will turn into a honda civic

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Ranger5.0, A 40 series on otherwise stock exhaust isnt very loud at all. One way to make it louder is to run the pipe in the front of the tire, but its not that much louder. Another way is the replace both stock cats with a single aftermarket cat, I had mine like that an it is a bit louder than the stock cats and it passed emissions no problem. The loudest is of course removing the cats, which IS illegal and it will NOT pass emissions! That being said my cats are gone and my exhaust runs in front of tire and it is LOUD but it doesnt sound like a ricer. My buddy also has a b2 and he ran his exhaust exactly like mine but with both stock cats and its really quiet and it doesnt really sound good to me. Dont gut the cats, it sounds like shit. You didnt mention what year ranger you have, if you have an OBDII rig, removing the cats isnt possible. You can also remove all pipe after the muffler and it will rumble like crazy but having corrosive exhaust gasses under your rig isnt a great idea.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
hmm, i have a 40 delta flow and i cant hear anything if i stomp on it off the line...

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
hmm, i have a 40 delta flow and i cant hear anything if i stomp on it off the line...
And you have a 302... I meant a 40 series on a stock v6 exhaust isnt very loud. In my rig its hard to hold a conversation any time I have my foot in it (and my friends bitch at me because its "too loud"), my buddys rig with stock cats is pretty much like riding in a stock rig... My other buddy has a b2 with completly stock exhaust including the resonator and it has a 40 series and it sounds EXACTLY like stock.

Last edited:

rangermx25

Reaction score
thanks were can i get the aftermarket single cats at?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Autoparts stores can carry them. Be aware, it is *technically* illegal to change your cat configuration, you would have to find a REALLY anal person though to hassle you for it though. A single cat can and will pass emissions as good or better than stock cats. It will require some modification because the stock flange is oval at the y pipe.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals