• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finally Died (Automatic Trans)

AutoRnD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey guys! It's been a while since I've tried anything with my Ranger or even been on the site for that matter. Now that I have a better paying job I can move forward with the more expensive changes.

So, I have an automatic transmission that wouldn't take gears every once in a while. It was always like this since I first got it. Again I havent used it for a long time. I did turn it on here and there to warm it up and just get the engine moving. I go to turn it on yesterday qnd it starts just fine, then I reverse out the lot and brake and in a stationary position I shift to drive and BANG! What I assume to be the transmission just died. Engine would rev, it would take neutral and park and that's about it.

Well, from my first post on this site I made it clear that I was willing to go through some things with this truck. I knew id both fail and succeed but mostly fail. Lol. Anyway, I'm just annoyed I killed it before I went to jump on it and do something about it.

I'm interested in two things:

1- Is there a better transmission that fits other than the one the 95 ranger has?

2- Is it even worth swapping an auto trans or should I just get another stock? I believe it's the 4R44E?

Not interested in:

1- Manual swap(but I kind of am but not yet)

What do you guys think?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So technically yes, there are better transmissions, but the challenge would be making them work correctly. Also the 3.0 had its own bellhousing so you need a transmission for a 3.0. Better off just going with a stock one. That said, there are ways to help the transmission like adding an extra auxiliary cooler for the transmission and doing a shift kit and valve body stuff. Heat is usually what kills them. Also, these transmissions have bands that are supposed to be adjusted periodically.

I would also investigate, especially if it really did make a bang that it wasn’t something else that broke. Rear axle, driveshaft, transfer case if you have one.

Or start looking for a V-8 donor if you still want to go that route. IIRC, your ideal donor would be a 95-97 Explorer or Mercury Mountaineer with the 5.0, ideally find one wrecked or the body trashed but the drivetrain still intact. That’s the best way to do the bulk of the swap.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4R44E is in a 1995 3.0l Ranger
Good transmission overall

Automatic's cost 1 cent to 2 cents a mile, not counting service
i.e. say transmission cost $3,000
If it lasted 150k miles that's $0.02/mile
At 300k that's $0.01/mile

So not that bad, average is closer to 250k if serviced

You can use a 1995-2008 3.0l 2WD 4R44E or 5R44E if you want used, 1998-2008 you need to swap over your tail shaft housing
(5R is not really a 5-speed, on the transmission end of things)

Rebuilt needs to be 1995-1997 3.0l 2WD 4R44E to have the speedometer hole
Any rebuilt should have the new parts and updates

AutoRnD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You can use a 1995-2008 3.0l 2WD 4R44E or 5R44E if you want used, 1998-2008 you need to swap over your tail shaft housing
What's the actual difference between the 4R and 5R?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Remember, you asked................

No difference in the transmissions, outside of normal updates, the 2001 and up had 2 added external sensors
The 5R was all about the PCM(computer)

Most automatics have a 1st gear that is 2.47 ratio, and then a 2nd gear with 1.47, that's about 1,000rpm difference, 1 full ratio
But it serves a purpose to get you moving especially if pulling a load
But engine needs to REV high before shifting to 2nd or it will lug the engine

Back in 1988 Ford added an OverDrive solenoid to the A4LD(4R/5R grandfather), 3-4 shift solenoid, used 1988-1994
Off-roaders hijacked that solenoid so they could turn OD on while in 1st gear
This gave them an extra ratio between 1st and 2nd, 1.85, so only a 500RPM difference
So when driving slowly off-road you didn't have to REV the engine to get it to shift to 2nd, just flip a switch and a new 2nd gear
Anyway it work well, and was not lost on Ford Engineers

In 1995 the 4R was introduced, 3 shift solenoids 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4
In 1997 the 4.0l Rangers got the first 5Rs, PCM software that turned OD(3-4) on while still in 1st to get a new 2nd gear
So 2nd became 3rd and 3rd became 4th and OD became 5th, a 5-speed from a 4-speed
Very clever these Americans, lol
And it is a true 5-speed because it does have 5 ratios, just not 5 "gears" :)

It worked well so in 2001 the 5R was used on all Ranger engines, 2.3l, 3.0l, and 4.0l
Also 2 sensors were added, one for speedometer(OSS) and another for Intermediate shaft speed(ISS), have to ask Ford what that was for, lol

In any case if you have a 4R44E you can use a 5R44E as replacement because its the same transmission inside, since there is no "5th gear" it would still shift like the 4-speed, and the 2 extra sensors are just left unhooked since your PCM has no connection for them

But if you have a 5R you can not use a 4R as replacement, because your PCM needs the 2 extra sensors

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals