• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

explorer leaf springs on a ranger

BiggSherm1988

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
none...yet
Total Drop
not for me
Am I understanding this correct? Any 1995+ explorer leaf will increase my lift, or do i need to get Leafs from a certain year? I have a 08 and my Leafs need replaced but I figured I'd go for a cheap easy few inches (gigidy).

901wd#2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Dunno how much lift you’ll get. 4dr leafs on the rear of mine here.
IMG_0782.jpeg

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I can't speak to the expo leafs...

But my 06 suspension was tired. I opted for new 1750 rear springs. For a touch more lift I did a 1 inch shackle lift.

Before
20220715_091121.jpg

After
20230830_121159.jpg

I also put Rough Country 1 1/2" lift keys on the front. It's on 32 inch tires. Pretty happy overall.

I might just be too old to mess with old worn out expo leaf springs.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I might just be too old to mess with old worn out expo leaf springs.
Lord, I know what you mean.

But I do like that nice potty chair. Does that one come in other colors, besides red? :dntknw:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lord, I know what you mean.

But I do like that nice potty chair. Does that one come in other colors, besides red? :dntknw:
Just galvanized...

20231003_123516.jpg

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If the springs are not worn out, you should gain at least an inch or two. A Ranger with clapped out springs that receives a new set of Explorer springs might see 3" or a little more even.

My old Bronco II had 4 door springs, a 2" block and Belltech shackles on it and the ride height matched the 6" Skyjacker lift in the front.
2021-12-06.jpg

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a set I didn't put on yet. my truck is a 1990 2wd I have ranger springs on now which sit out side of the rails the exploder springs and mount will sit under the frame rail. I'm not sure how high of a lift you get out of it but I would imagine it would be about 6 inches because that what the drop is when you throw a exploder rear on top of the ranger leaf springs.

I am entirely guessing

But there are a few race trucks that went to them or caltracs on here ober the years you might be able to find some threads and pictures and guess by looking at the rear if its under or over the springs.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
From the parts book (OEM);

'86-'03 Ranger springs 6" arch (unloaded) 1,110lb capacity
'91-'01 Explorer springs 6-1/2" arch (unloaded) 1,100lb capacity

'86-'03 Ranger springs 4-3/8" arch (unloaded) 1,350lb capacity
'91-'01 Explorer springs 4-13/16" arch (unloaded) 1,250lb capacity

My Ranger run around 1,300 to 1,500lbs on rear wheels (unladen), take out couple hundred lbs for rear axle and tires says springs flatten ~1/2 of arch as they are ~1/2 capacity.

New Explorer springs get you 7/32-1/4" versus new Ranger ones. Assumes new springs match specs in both cases.

The aftermarket 1,750lbs ones have 5-1/2" arch, so they get you 1 to 1-1/2" lift as they only "sag" about 1/3 arch.

For an '08, get '93 to '07 rear lift blocks - they're 2" taller - cheaper and easier than springs.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
For an '08, get '93 to '07 rear lift blocks - they're 2" taller - cheaper and easier than springs.
thats like putting perfume on a pig...

if your spring are worn out... there is no height block that will fix that.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So, I’ve played with leaf springs a bit… used leaf packs are a bit of a gamble, but they can also often be had cheap, so I’ve played, lol.

My understanding is that the Explorer leafs from the 4-door models were a little more arch and a little heavier rated pack. I’ve also found two different leaf packs, the older ones were a “heavy duty” pack and actually less arch than the Ranger packs, but also thicker leafs. The newer ones are similar to the Ranger packs, just heavier rated. So theoretically the 1,750# Ranger packs should do pretty much the same thing, little lift over the worn stock springs.

Dad got a new set of 1,750# packs for his one Ranger, but we never got them put in yet. My first Ranger I built a set for it out of Ranger and I think it was Dodge Dakota springs that someone gave me. My stock springs were pretty shot (admittedly, back then I used it like it was an F-250). I don’t remember the exact stack, but I know I used bits from three different sets of packs and I cut the eyes off a main leaf for the first leaf under my main, then built a 5-leaf pack like that, using or trimming leafs to use the longest ones I could, which helps load carrying a lot and still keeps the pack relatively soft. That got me at least 2” of lift because suddenly my 2wd needed the longer 4x4 rear shocks, lol.

I built a 5-leaf pack set for my Choptop out of Explorer leafs like that too, all long leafs. That with a “Belltech“ shackle got me level with the 3” lift coils and F-150 spring perches in the front (roughly a 5” suspension lift that I cobbled together back in the day). Admittedly, I’m not overly thrilled with how it turned out. It works, fairly well actually, I just think there’s room for improvement.

My F-150 got custom packs I made out of F-250 packs and that’s worked rather well, it rides decent (I put 1-ton rated coils in the front), that stuff lifted it to F-250 stock height and it literally laughs at a ton in the bed. The only time she really wasn’t happy was also the day it rolled over a scale at over 10k, the loader gave me more than I asked for, by like a ton and a half more than I asked for. Since I had already paid for what I had asked for, nobody was really complaining, and I didn’t have far or fast to go, we just took it easy.

My green Ranger I just built a 5-leaf pack set out of the thinner Explorer packs (the newer ones) and Ranger leafs. Kept them all long and did them spring under with an Explorer axle. That gave me considerably more drop than I had anticipated and it took the “Belltech” shackles and some tweaks to make it more or less right. Seems to ride harder than any of the others, but I’m also using Explorer rear suspension goodies since it’s supposed to be a street toy which may also have something to do with it. First time I built the packs I tried mixing the older, thicker Explorer leafs with the newer ones and found they don’t play nice, you have to stick with similar thickness and arch when you build packs.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Explorer springs gave mine a ridiculous amount of rake with new Moog front springs. Like 2"+. Ride was punishing too. Mine is also a standard cab so it is lighter than some.

I deleted the 4wd block, used a belltech shackle kit with the explorer springs and added a fiberglass topper, nice rake when empty, sits level with the camper in it and rides like a dream.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I understand don4331's numbers and agree that's what it should be on paper, but paper doesn't always carry into real world perfectly. For one that doesn't take into account the difference in thickness of the spring pack. For another, those are numbers for new springs and can't account for spring sag which is going to be different for each vehicle.

I don't recall which spring pack my 99 Ranger had stock and don't have the door tag info handy to see. I did use the equivalent spring pack from an Explorer. I was able to remove the factory lift block and keep about the same ride height. That said I do not like the ride as well as with the Ranger springs. Axle wrap and wheel hop was decreased IMO, but the ride wasn't as nice. It's been many years since the spring change was done so I can't remember well wough to describe the difference. After the spring change I installed belltech (or equivalent) shackles for a bit more lift along with cranking the t-bars a bit.

I'm seriously considering going back to stock springs in the near future, but also taking the lift out so the blocks and shackles will be going as well. It will kind of depend on what I need to hit the ride height I want with the axle I use. I'll either be spring over with stock springs, or spring under with esplorer springs and maybe the belltech shackles. If spring under the Explorer pack they will likely be broken apart and mix two sets together, or I might break down and order a custom/aftermarket set.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals