• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

divorce

DesertStorm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 and 94
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Correct me if i am wrong. Divorcing a t-case is actually seperating the case from the trans right? If I am correct how far away from the trans does one usually mount the case and would it be best to use a double cardan u-joint setup on the input shaft to the case. And one more question, does a BW1350 need to have the front axle connected to the internal yoke to keep fluid from coming out of the case? Thank you.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
What case are you trying to divorce mount? I'm assuming you are trying to add a divorced t-case behind your current setup. As far as the slip yoke, yes you will lose fluid once the driveshaft is removed. You will need to find a fixed yoke t-case. I wouldn't recommend using just a cardian between the cases, you are asking for problems. There is a guy on pirate that does that with some success. You really need to put a tiny driveshaft between the cases. The only divorced driver drop t-cases I've ever seen are the NP205 and the Dana 24. They are getting kinda rare in the junkyards anymore.

Matt

DesertStorm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 and 94
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Im going to SAS my 2wd truck. But I am doing it in steps. I have a BW1350 I got out of an 87 or 88 Ranger. I would like to go ahead and get a t-case in it so I can have low range to play around with until I get time to do all the front end work. I was going to divorce it but I did not know if it would work. I can get my hands on a NP205 but I think it is overkill,way too big, and heavy. I am only going to use 33" tires. I was going to drop a Dana 28 ttb in it but with the work required with it vs a Dana 30 I am going to take the extra time and go solid. Just brainstorming out loud and trying to get all my ducks in a row. I need others opinions. Thanks for yours Matt.
btw-My trans. is new and i dont want to get rid of it. This is why I want to mount the case behind the trans and get a connector shaft made. Maybe I will go with a 205 probably would be better. If I was rich I would get an atlas. I am working with mostly free parts.

Last edited:

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
The 1350 front slip will not loose fluid with the front shaft out. Its sealed unlike many rear output slips.

As for divorcing a 1350 you would have to make a custom input with a yoke to accept a u joint as well as swap in a 4x2 tranny as to get a joint at the output of the tranny. Much more work then just keepin it the way it is.

So you can go ahead and run your 1350 without a front drive shaft as still be able to use 2 wheel low.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I better take a good look at my brother's 1350 to make sure his isn't leaking. His seeped fluid when I pulled his shaft. Being you are converting a 2wd to 4x4 a divorced t-case is usually the easiest labor wise. You can use the stock 2wd transmission, just tag on a divorced case. Making a 1350 divorce mounted is pointless. You'll have way too much money in it. If you want to use a stock type setup it would be easiest to replace the 2wd trans with a trans that was currently in a 4x4; it is cheaper and easier in the long run, then tag on a t-case. The NP 205 is a good t-case. You can twin stick it very easily although doing a burn with a Dana 30 isn't probably the best idea but you can still do it if you wanted.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals