• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 35 SLA Intermediate Shaft Bearing and Seal (2000 3.0l 4x4 flex fuel)

NotEnoughCowbell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I imagine that plastic one referenced is the synthetic bushing thats "out of stock"

That axle race looks pitted, usual cause is grit/debris getting in, did the bearing rollers show pitting as well?
Lack of lubrication gets that overheated rainbow effect but usually smooth
The truck spent a lot of time sunken in mud when I was younger, then sat with a front diff full of grit for 5 years being rolled around every now and then. One roller on the original bearing was missing entirely and another was wedged sideways, mud packed all through the bearing. When I tore it apart the first time I spent a lot of time cleaning and flushing it out, didn't notice any imperfections in the housing. I'll have to see what the newer intermediate shaft looks like when I get to pulling it out again

NotEnoughCowbell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
80W-90 is the gear oil for both the front and rear axle.

75W-90 if you want to go synthetic.

I like the bag type “bottle” Valvoline uses. So much easier fill the differentials with those. It’s even easier if you pick up a hose with a threaded adapter on them that fits the threading for the bottle cap.
Understood, and I used a manual ball pump, it wasn't the easiest but I was filling it up and spinning it with everything disconnected then sucking out everything I could multiple times
I imagine that plastic one referenced is the synthetic bushing thats "out of stock"

That axle race looks pitted, usual cause is grit/debris getting in, did the bearing rollers show pitting as well?
Lack of lubrication gets that overheated rainbow effect but usually smooth
It spent a lot of time sunken in mud during my teenage years, then sat in a field for 5 years being rolled around every now and then (Michigan so had to deal with winter and extreme temp changes often as well). I have no question as to how it got in such bad shape lol. The original bearing I pulled out was missing a roller and another roller was wedged sideways. What blows my mind is I drove from Mi to SC and back with no issue, it was only after I did all the front end work that it started acting up and I pulled it apart again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals