• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Convert from electric 4x4 to manual hubs

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
So I am sick of my 4wheel drive electric motor shifter issues. Randomly the truck goes into 4 wheel drive without putting the switch in 4h or 4lo. I have to turn the switch to 4h and then back to 2wheel to get it to pop out of 4wheel drive.

I've heard that you can put manual hubs on to replace the electric shifter.
Any inputs on how much it would cost a shop to do this for me?

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
A shop? It takes just few minutes of time, but you will pay the minimum shop fee (an hour?) and a markup on the hubs.

Do it yourself and save.

The hubs will not replace the electric t-shifter, it will replace the hubs at the front wheel. It will alleviate the problem, by not linking the front wheels into drive. The t-case will still lock in.

Last edited:

TwoTrackMind

Reaction score
in my truck mostly, but I do hit the house in Mich
Vehicle Year
1998 et al
Make / Model
Ford/AutoZone
Engine Size
3.0L at best
Transmission
Manual
Um...

The '98 to 2000 models had an electric motor to operate the transfer case, and vacuum to operate the axle hub lockouts. Each has its problems and its fixes. I'm thinking you may be confused on what your problem is and how to fix it.

The problems I've had (that sound like yours) is that one or more of the hubs would engage themselves. During startup, the computer would activate then deactivate the hubs (some kind of self check?), then one or both of the hubs would stick in the locked position. I believe this happened causing a bearing to go out, because one locked and the free wheel was "seeing" 120 MPH over an extended period of time (due to reverse rotation through the open differential). This seems to be a common problem and the only fix I found was to permanently lock the hubs or go to a manual lock/unlock system (several ways to do either).

If your transfer case is going into 4wd, then there is some problem other than/besides hubs. The only experience I had like that was when it lunched (yeah, looked like a small tactical nuclear device was inserted through the fill plug somehow). I attribute that to self-locking of the hubs and spinning the front drive shaft in a manor it was not designed for. Both of these incidences occurred while I was towing the Ranger cross country behind a large vehicle (like a motorhome) so I didn't get any clues that something was going wrong.

Maybe someone else has better info for you, but my fixes was to override control from the computer. There are several ways to do this. I cut the wires going to the transfer case motor and hooked up a toggle switch control circuit. I also put AVM manual hubs on.

Without knowing better what your problem is, I won't elaborate (further) on all this.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
So I am sick of my 4wheel drive electric motor shifter issues. Randomly the truck goes into 4 wheel drive without putting the switch in 4h or 4lo. I have to turn the switch to 4h and then back to 2wheel to get it to pop out of 4wheel drive.

"Electric shift transfer case"

and

"Automatic hubs"

Are COMPLETELY seperate issues....

Swapping on manual hubs is a damned good ideal but it won't make your

E-shifted T-case work any better

AD

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I think Twotrackmind might be correct here. I can hear the electric shift transfer move. I think my issue is that hubs locking when they aren't suppose to.

So if I put on AVM manul hubs, I need to turn the hubs as well as the electric shift to 4H or 4lo right?

How much are AVM manual hubs? I think if my issue is the hubs locking when they shouldn't, I'll probably invest in getting the AVM manual hubs put on.

Was talking to my cousin today about it, and he was saying the electric shift transfer case sounds fine and he can here it shifting when turning the switch. He is going to take a look at the hubs and a couple other things.

TwoTrackMind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 et al
Make / Model
Ford/AutoZone
Engine Size
3.0L at best
Transmission
Manual
By far the most common problem with our series of trucks is the "part-time self-locking maybe-maybenot" hubs. But also know that just because the motor turns doesn't mean the transfer case is actually working.

Most of us like the manual hubs. But yeah, you have to get out and switch them every time you change 2wd -> 4wd-> 2wd, etc. Thats why some don't like them. And they cost around $150 a pair. I understand they tend to fall of sometimes, maybe cause theyre a little heavier. I put a hose clamp around the plastic fingers to help stop that, just a thought.

Last edited:

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ya I'm thinking the problem I have is the typical problem for this year range and model truck.

I have a couple questions....I have been reading lots about this and I'm sure I can figure it out, but before I get balls deep I'm curious...

Whats the reason for installing the AVM Manual hubs in the locked position?

Also, before taking off the vacuum hubs, where should the 4wd be set at? 2wd-4h-4lo ? I'm guessing just leave it in 2wd

Is this install as easy as I have been reading?? Just take tire off, pop off the vauum hubs, put on new oring, line the splines up with the AVM hubs and have in locked position, and slap on?

What to do with the old hub vacuum lines? or do you not need to do anything?

Last edited:

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
...I understand they tend to fall of sometimes, maybe cause theyre a little heavier. I put a hose clamp around the plastic fingers to help stop that, just a thought.
Just read this....thats kinda scary considering these things cost about $150 and I don't think you can buy just one of them?

Any other insights from other users on what they did to help theres from falling off?

TwoTrackMind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 et al
Make / Model
Ford/AutoZone
Engine Size
3.0L at best
Transmission
Manual
AVM in lock - I think this is just to be able to better align the splines.

Dash switch position is not relavant.

The hardest part is removing the old hub without damaging the keepers (without the proper tool). If your not just going to toss them (and I keep mine in the truck in case the AVM lunchs or wanders off) then just be careful and patient. A friend to help is a good Idea. The "tool" is designed to keep all fingers up at the same time. Thats your clue...

Good point on the vacuum lines. If nothing else goes wrong, you can just leave them. But I disconnected the vacuum going to "the magic box behind the passenger headlight" and plugged the source (engine) side because seldom does nothing go wrong...

And when they fall off without you knowing, theres a good chance you not only lost them, but there could be damage to your hub/bearings etc. You can buy singles for about $100.

DirtyBurd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

My solution to electric shift on the fly woes. Still need to install manual hubs. Waiting on funds! http://s235.photobucket.com/user/dirtyburd71/library/Ranger%20T-Case%20Shifter?sort=9&page=1

Flipperlip

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well hope had good new year on those manual hubs I just bought a set like 75.00 on e-bay . Cause i lost one but been runing locked in if you knock that screen on end of black ones you can push the center in will click .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals